In article <94191802-6c9c-bdab-615b-001786a2a...@gmx.ch>,
Fourhundred Thecat <400the...@gmx.ch> wrote:
  > On 2019-11-16 03:29, Fourhundred Thecat wrote:

case LOGTYPE_SYSLOG:
          snprintf(buf, size, "%s[%d]%s: %s:%d in %s: %s",
               levels[msg->level], msg->lwp, call_identifier_str,
msg->file, msg->line, msg->function, msg->message);
          term_strip(buf, buf, size);
          break;

case LOGTYPE_FILE:
          snprintf(buf, size, "[%s] %s[%d]%s %s: %s",
                msg->date, msg->level_name, msg->lwp,
call_identifier_str, msg->file, msg->message);
          term_strip(buf, buf, size);
          break;

so basically, it is hardcoded that logging to syslog adds extra
msg->line and msg->function.

why would anybody do that ?

This seems to me like a very unfortunate decision.
Is there a reason for this ?
Am I missing something?

But someone with a different opinion than yours might well say "Why did
they decide to omit the line number and function from the file logging?
It's very useful information!"

The beauty of open source is of course that if you feel strongly enough,
you can modify the source file before you build it, so it shows just
what you want.

I know I can patch asterisk and compile myself. I did it in the past,
and it is tedious to keep own patches and manage own packages. Its last
resort for me.

Anyway, I am asking weather there is a reason why this particular
decision was taken. To me perosnally it seems like idiocy, but I am not
developer and maybe I am missing something.

If I am right, and this is a bug, then I would like to suggest this
should be fixed.

I am grateful for asterisk, and I want to help improve, even if in a
small way.