On 2/27/24 18:15, jahway603 wrote:
I was not aware of that, so thank you for sharing that insight with me Robin. What I am
aware of is that when I search the AUR for "-openrc" that the result yields 83
results meaning there are 83 packages which utilize OpenRC as their init system,
including my package in question here.

Marcell's argument that "This package was intended for a systemd-less Arch
derivative, and is not useful on Arch Linux, due to the fact that it is virtually
impossible nowadays to run Arch without systemd..." is not valid as Arch Linux gives
us the freedom to run whatever init system we choose to run. The power of Arch Linux is
to enable the user to be able to use whatever they choose.

If Marcell's logic to delete this package is to remain valid then are there
also plans to delete the other 82 packages using OpenRC from the AUR? And are
there also plans to delete the Arch Wiki page about OpenRC
(https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/OpenRC)?

Hi,

As I said, my remark was strictly about the "the AUR is also used by all derivatives" argument, which is not relevant/acceptable on its own as the AUR is made for Arch Linux only. I wasn't necessarily taking position regarding the deletion request below.

However, when it comes to openrc specifically, I think it is important to notice that only systemd is officially supported on Arch Linux, as stated in the OpenRC wiki page you linked (it's actually the first thing noted on the page as a warning block [1]) and as demonstrated by the fact that OpenRC itself is an AUR package (which are not officially supported either, see the warning block on the related wiki page [2]).

The fact that Artix (or whatever other derivatives) officially supports openrc will not change the fact that Arch Linux itself does not, neither the fact that the AUR is an official Arch Linux ressource made for Arch Linux specifically (while it does not prevent derivatives to use it, they are not specifically taken into consideration).

Once again, I'm not necessarily saying that this deletion request should be accepted or not, it will be evaluated carefully as every other pending requests. However, it's only fair to expose the current state of things when it comes to the Arch/AUR and unsupported derivatives/init system.

I hope you get my point :)

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/OpenRC
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_User_Repository

On Tuesday, February 27th, 2024 at 11:50 AM, Robin Candau <an...@archlinux.org>