On Fri, 30.01.09 09:18, Trent Lloyd (lath...@bur.st) wrote:

> > $ avahi-browse -t -r -l _reelboxAVG._tcp
> > [...]
> > = eth1 IPv4 RBServer
> > _reelboxAVG._tcp     local
> >    hostname = [RBServer.local]
> >    address = [fe80::2e0:f4ff:fe17:b2f3]
> >    port = [2001]
> >    txt = []
> > [...]
> >
> > How can this behaviour be disabled ?  Setting use-ipv6=no  in /etc/
> > avahi/avahi-daemon.conf ?
>
> Yes, this should "resolve" the issue.

Actually it doesn't IIRC. It's been a while since i hacked on this but
I think the logic in the newer Avahi versions is that we register all
addresses we find, regardless whether they are IPv4 or IPv6. The
switch mentioned above only toggles which protocol to use as
transport for exchanging mDNS packets. i.e. we will always send out
information about locally configured IPv6 addresses, but you can
choose if that information is encapsulated in IPv4 or IPv6 packets.

On the local network IPv6 should be exactly as useful as IPv4 and
hence I don't see much use in disabling this. That said, the option
publish-aaaa-on-ipv4 can be used to disable publising IPv4
addresses on the Ipv6 transport.

But of course, as Trent mentioned, playing games with these options is
evil. Don't do it just because your client side application is
borked. Ther right approach is to fix that application.

Lennart