> Thinking about that some further -- I'd like to hear more about what
> you're trying to do, since I'm not absolutely convinced that
> network-layer multicast is what you want to be using.  (An
> application-layer protocol might be more suitable, such as the flooding
> algorithm used by AHCP, or even something more efficient based on DHTs.)

Ninux needs some kind of delivery of mDNS packets. Those have
multicast destination and UDP port 5353. Because payload is DNS
messages used for signalling (service discovery), the amount of data
to be transmitted is very low.
Without a real multicast support, we managed in the delivery of those
packets in OLSR exploiting the extensible OLSR signalling.

The generic solution would be an application proxy that implements:

1) Capture encapsulation and further decapsulation of mDNS packets in
desired subnets.
2) Discovery algorthm amongs proxies in the network
3) Distribution algorithm to deliver mDNS data to other proxies, in
efficient way without duplicate traffic.

in OLSR mDNS plugin we had to code only point 1), because we inherited
features 2) from registering a new OLSRd application in the protocol,
and feature 3) from the OLSR default forwarding algorithm (eventually
with MPR optimization).

yes protocol indipendent was better, but it was more coding effort.

http://zioproto.ninux.org/download/publications/mdns-plugin-paper.pdf
(dirty operational docs are in the README in the OLSR tarball)

ciao :)

Saverio