I keep meaning to draw this out and post it on my blog

--- my own thoughts on TV generations ---

1st generation - Mainstream
TV watchers, Tend to be stuck to the Broadcast Schedule, will get home to watch
a certain thing, will see lots of adverts etc. Will tend to have Cable, Sky or
Free view

2nd generation - Tape it for later
They tend to watch live events, browse TV and tape/vivo/record everything they
watch a lot (such as shows). They skip adverts but still see them. Still aware
of the Broadcast Schedule and subscribes to Sky or Cable

3rd generation - On Demand
Completely off the schedule, no idea which channel things come from or what
time there on. Rely on friends recommendations or social networks to tell
what's on. Owns a laptop or has a computer device (such as xbox) setup with
there TV. Tends not to browse TV and does not subscribe to Sky or Cable but
watches a lot of TV

4th generation - There is no spoon
Same as 3rd generation but sees all content as remixable and shareable. Can't
understand why mixing bbc content with some dance tune is bad. Uploads content
to online sites and shares a lot for social capital. May not even own a TV but
has access to a large connection

Obviously there's stages between the generations, like someone who watches
everything on demand but also tunes in for Torchwood every week (what day is it
on again?)

:)

Ian Forrester || backstage.bbc.co.uk || x83965