I have noticed that my config of bacula only seems to ever use one
drive.  For example, when labeling a large pool of volumes, it mounts
and labels each volume sequentially using only a single drive.  As each
volume label is independent of the other volumes, it seems like this
would be much faster if the volumes were split between the drives.  (Or
at least wear would be evened out between the drives).

Is this the typical behavior, or can my config be improved in some way
to better use multiple drives?  Our tape library is configured thusly in
bacula-sd.conf

Storage {
   Name = Scalar-i40
   SDPort = 9103                  # Director's port
   WorkingDirectory = "/scratch/bacula/spool"
   Pid Directory = "/var/run"
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 2
   SDAddress = 127.0.0.1
}

Autochanger {
   Name = AutoChanger-Scalar-i40
   Device = Drive0
   Device = Drive1
   Changer Command = "/usr/libexec/bacula/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
   Changer Device = /dev/changer0
}

Device {
   Name = Drive0
   Drive Index = 0
   Media Type = LTO-6
   Archive Device = /dev/st1
   AutomaticMount = yes
   AlwaysOpen = yes
   RemovableMedia = yes
   RandomAccess = no
   AutoChanger = yes
   LabelMedia = yes
   Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error %c'"
   Maximum Changer Wait = 600
   Maximum Rewind Wait = 600
   Maximum Open Wait = 600
   Spool Directory = /scratch/bacula/spool
   Maximum Spool Size = 10000000000000  #10TB in bytes
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 2
}

Device {
   Name = Drive1
   Drive Index = 1
   Media Type = LTO-6
   Archive Device = /dev/st0
   AutomaticMount = yes
   AlwaysOpen = yes
   RemovableMedia = yes
   RandomAccess = no
   AutoChanger = yes
   LabelMedia = yes
   Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error %c'"
   Maximum Changer Wait = 600
   Maximum Rewind Wait = 600
   Maximum Open Wait = 600
   Spool Directory = /scratch/bacula/spool
   Maximum Spool Size = 10000000000000   #10TB in bytes
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 2
}

Messages {
   Name = Standard
   director = bacula-dir = all
}

Director {
   Name = bacula-dir
   Password = Removed to protect the guilty
}

Director {
   Name = prod-backup-mon
   Password = Removed to protect the guilty
   Monitor = yes
}

Does anyone have ideas for how I could use this hardware more efficiently?

--
Thanks,

John H. Nyhuis
Desk: (206)-685-8334