Dear Gary, Michael, Ted. and Don

Thank you so much so much so much for your four responses.

I have been using all these four slightly different approaches nearly every
night in a University Christian Muslim and InterFaith setting some nights 35
souls attending

I must say that when the room was full of Christians Gary Matthews's
approach and method was most effective most penetrating of hearts and minds.
Michael and Don's  and Ted's slightly less so but also most helpful in terms
of references.

One most interested Christian scholar came to me and said:

**This is the first time a Bahai approach [Gary Matthews's] has told us to
**COME ON UP**!
Most other presentations we have heard have been minimalist and
reductionist**=  his words not mine.

When the room had a preponderance of Muslims they seemed to appreciate the
Iqan's [egalitarian *We make no distinction between...as per the Holy
Qur'an= laa nufarriqu bayna ah.adin minhum  of the second sura]

Thank you all again and a million thanks to Gary for reminding me to *come
up*

khazeh

You said Gary Lua and Louis Gregory taught in this way : any evidence?

Gary Matthews wrote

Dear Khazeh,

Many thanks for your inquiry. One would never guess, from reading your kind
words, that so much of what I know about all these questions I've learned
over the years from you! Your notes, commentaries and replies form a
disproportionately large proportion of the massive files I keep for
reference.

The comments already posted by Ted Brownstein and Michael Sours also strike
me as pure gold. Anything I can add should be taken basically as footnotes,
reinforcing their points. At the risk, however, of overlapping, here are my
own thoughts:

You are absolutely right about the predominance of these three questions.
Particularly the first -- the idea that Jesus is "the Way, the Truth and
the Life" and "no one cometh to the Father" except by Him. This very
passage is the topic of the Stonehaven Press pamphlet called "The Glory of
Christ: A Baha'i Testimony". Its complete text is available on-line at:

http://www.stonehaven-press.com/download/glory/gc-1.htm

Briefly, it's true that Jesus Christ is the only way to God. The reason
it's true is not (as some Christians assume) that all religions other than
Christianity are false. Nor is it true because (as some Baha'is assume) the
claim applies only "for His time". The reason it's eternally true is that
Jesus Christ is the Founder and Central Figure of EVERY Faith, including
Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Baha'i and all the rest. As David
Young succinctly puts it, there is "one universal Christ who reappears from
age to age". He has come under various guises -- as Krishna, Buddha,
Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, the Bab and Baha'u'llah. He came before;
He's appeared in our time; He'll come at other times in the future. But
whatever He calls Himself, and whatever form He adopts, He's always the One
Eternal Christ. These individuals are all the same person.

That's the wording Baha'u'llah uses in the Kitab-i-Iqan: These He says all
the Prophets are "one soul and the same person" (Iqan 152). By this He
doesn't mean they're the reincarnation of one individual human soul. The
"same person" refers to the indwelling Divine Spirit who animates all of
them, and who speaks through them. In a sense, that "person" is God
Himself: They incarnate not the Essence of God, but the Mind and Spirit of
God. They therefore are all the same "Everlasting Beauty" (Iqan 22)
appearing in "divers attire" (Iqan 153). The new "attire" refers of course
to the outward human personality, which -- to the One Universal Christ --
is basically a suit of clothes He can change at will.

This principle -- that all the Divine Messengers are the "same person" --
is the pervasive theme of the Kitab-i-Iqan. It's what Shoghi Effendi calls
"the great and essential truth lying at the very core of [Baha'u'llah's]
message to mankind" (WOB 118).

As Michael notes, all the quotes and question you mention he discusses at
length in his wonderful books, such as his Baha'i-Christian Dialogue
three-volume series and his wonderful "Station and Claims of Baha'u'llah".
They also are addressed, specifically and in detail, in my own "He Cometh
with Clouds" (from George Ronald) and "Every Eye Shall See" (from
Stonehaven Press) -- and of course in various pamphlets and booklets.

Michael mentions his feeling (with which I agree) that the second quote
(John 3:16) is one with which any Baha'i can concur wholeheartedly. I would
add -- and I'm sure Michael would agree -- that the same is true of both
the other quotes as well. How to approach these questions was the topic of
a brief message I posted to the Baha'i-Apologetics forum several years ago.
Rather than rehash its contents, let me append it below:

===============================

Many thanks [I wrote to one of the list-members] for your admirable
discussion
of your research into early history and Arianism, and how this affected
your online discussion with Christians.

Your observations confirm my own: We as Baha'is tend to antagonize
Christians because we come off sounding like Arius. We use his arguments,
promote his positions, adopt his tone and terminology. This gives a
distorted picture of the Baha'i position. If Christians knew what our Faith
really teaches, most of them would find that teaching powerfully attractive.

Our first instinct, in teaching Christians, usually is to try to undermine
the Christian's reverence for Christ. We assume (mistakenly) that his/her
reluctance to embrace Baha'u'llah derives from having a too-high opinion of
Christ, so we naturally try to moderate that opinion: We argue that Jesus
wasn't God, that He wasn't unique, that He wasn't so special -- that He was
just a tool God used, like so many others. The Christian either runs
screaming from the room, or launches a counter-offensive. We shake our
heads in sadness, thinking, "My God, what fanatics these Christians are!"
Both sides feel smugly vindicated, and we go our separate ways.

A sounder approach, in my opinion, is not to try to diminish the
Christian's enthusiasm for Christ, but the reverse: Why not magnify it? We
can and should argue that Christ is even greater than Christians
traditionally have realized; that He is even more unique, more
indispensable, more divine, more special. We should demonstrate a sincere
and absolutely genuine appreciation for Christ's reality that is even
higher than that of the Christians themselves, and lovingly beckon them:
"Come on up!"

The key to doing this is John 1: "In the beginning was the Word, and the
Word was with God, and the Word was God ... and the Word was made flesh,
and dwelt among us ..." This reference to Christ shows that the biblical
Christ means the everlasting Spirit of God -- that recurring Reality which
Baha'u'llah (in the Iqan) calls the "Divine Presence". The Christ of the
Bible is not merely the historical human being, Jesus of Nazareth, who
walked the earth 2000 years ago. The Divine Christ is the indwelling
Presence of God that was manifest _in_ Him, the same Presence that returns
from age to age in every Manifestation, and which has today returned as
Baha'u'llah.

This "Presence of God" is the _real_ "Christ" of the Bible. In this sense,
there is only one Christ, utterly unique and incomparable, ineffable, the
only path to God -- "the way, the truth and the life" through whom we must
approach the Father, because there is "no other name under heaven" whereby
we may be saved. This is the Christ through whom "all things were made",
who existed "before Abraham was" and who has RETURNED. That's why
Baha'u'llah is not a "new Christ" but the same Christ with a new name. He's
the same Divine Spirit in a different package. (Old wine in a new bottle,
if you will.)

This presentation of Christ is diametrically opposite to what Baha'is
usually attempt. First of all, it stresses points of agreement. These are
attitudes most Christians hold instinctively, even if they haven't
verbalized them. Many Christians, exposed to this view of Christ, naturally
say, "Why, that's _exactly_ what I already believe; this clearly is what
the Bible teaches; I just never thought of it that way." (Many of them
already do think of Him this way.) Second, it glorifies Christ instead of
trying to whittle Him down. Third, it brings to light the sense in which
Christ is truly and eternally unique -- yet it does so in a way that
doesn't exclude Baha'u'llah or the other Manifestations. (These are "one
soul and the same person" [Gleanings 50] if by that Person we mean the
indwelling Christ-spirit.)

One of the ways we diminish Christ is by emphasizing the historical human
station, thus making Him "one among many". We do this, for example, by
arguing that He was unique only during His dispensation. Thus He was (we
may argue) "the way, the truth and the life" "for His time", but not today,
having been replaced successively by Muhammad, the Bab, now Baha'u'llah,
and others further on down the line. Even if true in a limited sense, this
perspective is inherently misleading, because it suggests Baha'u'llah is
not the RETURN of the One Christ, but "somebody else". They become
competitors, with the Christian being asked to choose. We thus obscure the
reality of the One Christ who is manifest in all the Manifestations, and to
whom we ought to direct the Christian's attention.

Any Baha'i presentation which compromises the absolute uniqueness of the
Living Christ will be perceived by Christians as an attempt to undermine
His station. They rightly recoil from any such presentation. I say
"rightly" because such a view not only attacks the valid foundation of
Christianity, but also that of the Baha'i Faith itself. When we explain
Christ the way He really is explained in our own Teachings, we'll resonate
with the Bible and with the sentiments of Christians themselves. Then we
will be successful in teaching. This is the lesson of Arianism.

More and more Baha'is are at last learning to teach Christians using this
Christ-centred paradigm. The result, over the past several years, has been
hundreds of new Baha'i declarations on the part of staunch, Bible-believing
Christians. I've personally encountered not one, not ten, but dozens of
devout believers in Christ who have accepted Baha'u'llah via this approach,
and who today are deepened, dedicated Baha'is. And I've met even larger
numbers of Christians who, though they're not yet Baha'is (and may never
be), have become admirers and friends of our Faith and respect Baha'is as
fellow-believers in Christ and the Bible.

This isn't some "new method" of teaching Christians. It's the approach used
by 'Abdu'l-Baha and the early great teachers of the Faith like Louis
Gregory and Lua Getsinger. (That was back when traditional Christianity had
an even stronger hold on the public than it has today, and when our Faith
was doubling or tripling its membership every year in America.) Maybe we
need to rediscover what they already knew!

Loving regards,

Gary

>***Now strive ye that the Collective Centre of the sacred religions - for
>the inculcation of which all the Prophets were manifested and which is no
>other than the spirit of the divine teachings - be spread... so that each
>one of you may shine forth from the horizon of reality like unto the
morning
>star, divine illumination may overcome the darkness of nature, and the
world
>of humanity may become enlightened. This is ***the most great work! ***
>Should you become confirmed therein, this world will become another world,
>the surface of the earth will become the delectable paradise, and eternal
>Institutions be founded.
>
>  (`Abdu'l-Baha:  Tablets of the Divine Plan, Pages: 106-107)

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Gary & Cheri Matthews             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stonehaven Press                  865/637-6331 (work)
3101 Woodbine Avenue              865/637-6331 (fax)
Knoxville, TN 37914               865/521-7829 (home)
<http://www.stonehaven-press.com>
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

And from Michael W. Sours

<<These are the most famous three. I believe the Universal House of Justice
referred to Passages of Exclusivity and Finality in Their Letter to Leaders.
But to my limited limited knowledge *no one* has taken up these Passages
...>>

Dear Khazeh,
Actually, these verses you inquired about are addressed in a number of
Baha'i
books. But its good that you bring them to other's attention, for of all the
verses in the Bible, these three are foremost the ones every Baha'i who
teaches Christians would do well to memorize.

1) John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no
man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Baha'u'llah's Tablet to the Christians (1990), pages 45-6.
Understanding Christian Beliefs (1991), pages 88, 121, 161.
The Prophecies of Jesus (1991), page121.
The Station and Claims of Baha'u'llah, 1997), pages 76-77.

Briefly, this claim is found in all religions, even Buddhism. It refers to
the Reality the Manifestation of God represents and embodies, the eternal
Word
and Truth, and is not a point distinquishing one from another
Manifestations,
but rather distinquishing their way of self-sacrifice and compassion from
the
ways of the world--i.e., greed, violence, materialism, etc. It is an
excellent
verse to reflect on in relation to the materialism in the world today.

2) John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting
life.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth
not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the
only
begotten Son of God.

Understanding Biblical Evidence (1990), pages 110, 133.
Understanding Christian Beliefs (1991), pages 71, 84, 85.
The Station and Claims of Baha'u'llah, 1997), pages 201.

With regard to John 3:16, there's little that needs to be said, other than
this: This verse is every bit as much an assurance to anyone who believes in
Jesus Christ--whether Christian, Muslim, or Baha'i. So there really is no
question to answer, merely a concurance. The Baha'i Faith affirms the
Sonship and
Divinity of Jesus. This verse is well worth reciting to any Christian who
doubts
the everlasting life of Baha'is--it is an undeniable assurance of Jesus
Christ
Himself that Baha'is are saved by their belief and faith.

3) Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none
other
name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Baha'u'llah's Tablet to the Christians (1990), page 38.
Understanding Christian Prophecy (1991), pages 186, 187, 191, 192, 199.
The Station and Claims of Baha'u'llah, 1997), pages 102, 105, 193.

Saint Peter (Acts 4:12) uses the word "name," but in biblical usage, as
Christian commentators agree, this refers to the person, or more
particularly what
the person represents. So the answer to John 14:6 applies here as well. It
is
another verse to reflect on in relation to the materialism in the world
today.
This verse is reflected in Baha'i scripture as well: "This is the day
whereon
nothing amongst all things, nor any name amongst all names, can profit you
save through this Name which God hath made the Manifestation of His Cause
and
the Dayspring of His Most Excellent Titles unto all who are in the kingdom
of
creation." (ESW 97)
    I think you will find that, besides other Baha'i books, a number of
broad-minded Christians have taken up these verses in their own commentaries
and
books and given very satisfactory answers, better than any I have written.
    The book, "The Station and Claims of Baha'u'llah", of course is my own
sincere attempt to take up at length the issue of exclusivity and finality
in
our own teaching as it relates to us as a Faith community and our own sacred
Writings, but in doing so, the book brings together examples from other
Faiths,
such as the verses you mentioned.
    Like Ted, I look forward to what Gary and others may add to this
subjects
as well.

Warmest,
Michael

and from Ted Brownstein

Greetings, Khazeh:

I'm looking forward to Gary's response. Here is an approach to the question
you raise that you may find helpful as well.

cheers,
ted
===============================

Is Jesus the Only Way to God?
Bahá'í teachers are sometimes perplexed when asked to explain certain verses
in the Gospels that refer to Christ as the only way to God. There are of
course many ways that such questions can be addressed. In this section, we
will
look at two Gospel texts and examine various ways this issue can be
resolved.

Bible quotes:
Jesus said to him, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to
the Father except through Me." (John 14:6)

Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven
given among men by which we must get saved. (Acts 4:12)

Several possible Bahá'í responses to such questions are summarized below.
Choose one most likely to be accepted by your hearer.

"   Bahá'ís agree that there is no path to God that sidesteps or belittles
Jesus. Belief in Christ and belief in the saving power of His death on the
cross
are central teachings of the Bahá'í Faith. Bahá'í Writings make it plain
that
we cannot accept Bahá'u'lláh and at the same time deny Christ.

"   There is only one path to God. The various prophets such as Moses,
Isaiah, Christ and Bahá'u'lláh do not teach competitive paths but rather
they all
teach the one true way to the Father. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John all
taught
the same Gospel, as did Bahá'u'lláh.

"   Baha'is believe that Bahá'u'lláh is the return of the Spirit of Christ.
Thus Bahá'u'lláh has been called "the return of the only Way."

"   Christ was the personification of the divine Word. No one can come to
God
except through the Word of God.

"   Christ was the personification of divine Love. No one can come to God
except through Love.

"   Jesus' love extends beyond the Christian Church and embraces the whole
world. The Spirit of Christ is revealed in the New Testament to be the Word
of
God who was with God in the beginning (John 1:1). Baha'is believe that this
Eternal Christ has operated visibly and invisibly throughout the ages to
bless
all humanity in the past, present and future.

"   It is even possible for someone to serve the Eternal Christ without
knowing it, just as some people who imagine that they serve Christ, do not
actually
know Him. (Matthew 25:34-45) Acts 17:23 refers to "The Unknown God, whom
therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you." Baha'is believe
that the
spirit of Buddha, the spirit of Muhammad and the Spirit of all the great
prophets of the world are in reality the same as the Spirit of Christ,
although
people are unaware of it.

The supreme love and unity is witnessed in the divine Manifestations. Among
Them unity is indissoluble, changeless, eternal and everlasting. Each One is
expressive and representative of all. If we deny One of the Manifestations
of
God, we deny all. (The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 208)

Ask a Bahá'í to deny any of the great Prophets, to deny his faith or to deny
Moses, Muhammad or Christ, and he will say: I would rather die. (Abdu'l-Bahá
in London, p. 56)

In sum, Bahá'ís can wholeheartedly agree with Christians about the truth of
the Bible verses found at John 14:6 and Acts 4:12.  No one can "come to the
Father" without confessing the "name of Jesus."
===================

and from Don calkins
Khazeh Fananapazir wrote:

> Could you compose in the next twenty four hours a brief essay for me as to
> how to respond to the MOST FREQUENTLY QUOTED THREE Passages of the New
> Testament

If I may intrude, Khazeh . . . . .

I think part of the problem American(ized) Baha'is have in dealing with
these
questions is because we tend to think of Baha'u'llah as a 19th Century
liberal/progressive philosopher.  This attitude is discussed by Douglas
Martin
in the transcript of his talk, "Mankind's Coming Encounter with
Baha'u'llah",
distributed at the direction of the House of Justice.

He in turn is elaborating on the House of Justice statement just before the
World Congress that it was time to "blazon the name of Baha'u'llah".  This
was, in my opinion, a clarion call to not only acquaint the world with the
name "Baha'u'llah", but also with Who He really is - the World Redeemer
promised by all the religions of the past, in Christian terminology - the
Return of Christ!

You might want to look at Baha'u'llah's own statements to Christians found
in
"Summons of the Lord of Hosts".

The objection I hear to this tactic is that Abdu'l-Baha is our example, and
that is not how He taught.  However, He had been promoted as a liberal
reformer by the American Baha'is, and many of His talks here in America were
to liberal groups who had invited Him to speak on that basis.  It would not
have been appropriate for Him to have emphasized Baha'u'llah's station under
those conditions.

I also hear that this is not how we were teaching during the growth spurt of
the 70's and 80's.  However that was then and this is now.  If the old
method
is so successful, why is it not being translated into numbers?  Now, as
then,
we must go to the groups that are truly searching and teach according to
their
needs, not our desires.   Today, that means conservative and fundamentalist
Christians.  As to our liberal friends, they are not really paying attention
anyway, and Baha'u'llah said, "If thou receivest not a hearing, shake the
dust
off your boots" (quoting from memory there).  I.e., go somewhere else.

If we quietly, emphatically and persistantly promote Baha'u'llah as the
Return
of Christ, their arguments will not confound us.

BTW, I love your gentle sense of humour.

Don C

Dear Gary Matthews

Dearly loved highly respected Friend and Brother and truly an expert in
Christian teaching

I need your help

I need your assistance.

Could you compose in the next twenty four hours a brief essay for me as to
how to respond to the MOST FREQUENTLY QUOTED THREE Passages of the New
Testament

They are most frequently quoted. In fact ***no one cometh to any fireside***
except with these three quotations

***
 1]John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no
man cometh unto the Father, but by me. ***

 2]John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting
life.  John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that
believeth not ****is condemned already*****, because he hath not believed in
the name of the only begotten Son of God.

 3]Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is ***none
other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. ***

These are the most famous three.

I believe the Universal House of Justice referred to Passages of Exclusivity
and Finality in Their Letter to Leaders. But to my limited limited knowledge
*no one* has taken up these Passages ...

Can you help dearest Gary Matthews? Please...

Many many loved and sincere souls* have tried but there is particular appeal
in our community [and myself] with your method, your exposition, and your
expertise in this most vital most needful area.

* such as
http://www.bci.org/prophecy-fulfilled/leaven.htm

I Am the Way by Joel Smith

khazeh f.

worried always that i am most definitely falling behind re: the Most Great
Work

***Now strive ye that the Collective Centre of the sacred religions - for
the inculcation of which all the Prophets were manifested and which is no
other than the spirit of the divine teachings - be spread... so that each
one of you may shine forth from the horizon of reality like unto the morning
star, divine illumination may overcome the darkness of nature, and the world
of humanity may become enlightened. This is ***the most great work! ***
Should you become confirmed therein, this world will become another world,
the surface of the earth will become the delectable paradise, and eternal
Institutions be founded.

 (`Abdu'l-Baha:  Tablets of the Divine Plan, Pages: 106-107)

khazeh your humble servant and a dust in the path of the friends