----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark A. Foster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Baha'i Studies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: Terms vs. Concepts

> Richard,
>
> At 12:11 PM 3/10/2004, you wrote:
> >>The proof of the correctness of those assertions would require some
considerable evidence.<<

> Evidence that words and concepts are not the same? Isn't that statement
based on simple face validity? Two people can both use the word "freedom."
For one person, the term might represent the concept of "freedom from
corporate oppression" (the elimination of capitalism). For another, it could
reflect a belief in economic liberalism (laissez-faire capitalism).

> In order to appreciate these differences, one needs to understand what was
in the mind of the speaker or writer. We can approach that level of
knowledge through contextualization and epoche (phenomenological reduction).
However, merely basing one's understanding on the spoken or written word,
without deep reflection and a consideration of context, will likely lead to
literalism and confusion.

Which is exactly why unity with regard to the Standard of Baha'u'llah is so
important.  Once the issue of denotaton v. connotation is proferred we
easily end up in the tower of Babel wherein no one understands anyone.

> >>Somehow I feel a certain fondness for "fundamentalists".  They are
looking for the irreducible, the solid rock upon which to build their house
of faith.  I daresay such an effort is commendable.<<

> Intriguing. I would say petrified rock, not solid rock. I find little to
commend in most of the fundamentalisms I have studied. Do you feel the same
way about the Baha'i fundamentalisms?

We are at the very begninning of the Baha'i Era.  We understand very little.
Those who cling to what you and I may consider narrow views may be clinging
more tightly to the "hem of His robe" than either you or I are.

> >>Yes indeed that is true for many of them.  However, the ministers, pasto
rs, etc. of many of them deplore the lack of understanding of their people
regarding the development of their own Faith and its meaning.  Some
ministers and priests with whom I have had the privilege of speaking, seem
to find themselves in a web of contradictions from which they cannot
extricate themselves.  The situation is distressing for all.<<

> I would say that it depends on whether the minister is a fundamentalist, a
conservative neo-evangelical Christian, a moderate (or liberal)
neo-evangelical Christian, a liberal Christian, or something else. The
closer people come to fundamentalism, the less likely they are to recognize
these contradictions.

It would perhaps be preferable to take an individuals view upon its merits
rather than classify their views.  Sometimes, in order to fit something into
a container, we may snip off a bit if the fit is tight; or supply a filler
if the fit is loose.

> >>Can one bear to recognize that the foundation of one's belief is
error?<<

> It can certainly be a test.

One would not want to place upon another soul a burden which one cannot bear
ones self.

Richard.

> Mark A. Foster * Portal: http://MarkFoster.net
> CompuServe: http://boards.M.Foster.name