Dear friends on these luminous lists

I would beg you to have a look at this talk of the Archbishop of Canterbury
Dr Rowan Williams in Washington last week

http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/sermons_speeches/040329.html
http://www.edow.org/news/window/special/williams/lecture.html?menu=undefined

It starts like this
***In the year 156 of the Christian era, Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna, was
arrested and brought before the magistrate, charged with being a Christian.
He was in his eighties, and his age and frailty prompted the magistrate to
offer him a quick discharge if he would acknowledge the divine spirit of the
emperor and say ‘Away with the atheists.’ The latter, at least, you might
think would not be difficult for a bishop; but of course at this period an
atheist was someone who refused to take part in the civic cult of the
empire, to perform public religious duties and take part in the festivals of
the Roman city. Christians were atheists, by this definition; Polycarp had a
problem after all. His response, though, was an elegant turning of the
tables. He looked around slowly at the screaming mob in the amphitheatre who
had gathered for the gladiatorial fights and public executions, and, says
our eyewitness chronicler, he groaned and said, ‘Away with the atheists.’

The magistrate did not fail to grasp the theological point, and Polycarp was
duly condemned to be burned alive. But this poignant story is one well worth
pondering for reasons beyond the study of early Christianity. It is a
reminder that ‘atheism’ may be a less simple idea than either its defenders
or its attackers assume. People often talk as though ‘atheism’ were a
self-contained system, a view of the world which gained its coherence from a
central conviction – that there is no transcendent creative power
independent of the universe we experience. But the story of Polycarp reminds
us that to understand what atheism means, we need to know which gods are
being rejected and why.

Thus an early Christian was an atheist because he or she refused to be part
of a complex system in which political and religious loyalties were
inseparably bound up. ‘Atheism’ was a decision to place certain loyalties
above those owed to the sacralised power of the state. But, moving across
the world of faiths, Buddhists are sometimes described as atheists by
puzzled observers, aware of the fact that Buddhist philosophy has no place
for a divine agent and that Buddhist practice concentrates exclusively upon
the mind purifying itself from self-absorption and craving; here, ‘atheism’
is a strategy to discipline the mind’s temptation to distraction by
speculative thought. Whether or not there is a transcendent creator is
irrelevant to the mind’s work; preoccupation with this is a self-indulgent
diversion at best, and at worst a search for some agency that can do the
work only we can do.

‘If you meet the Buddha, kill him’ is a well-known Zen dictum, from a
tradition deeply aware that personal agenda and history are easily capable
of distorting any supposedly clear vision of where enlightenment is to be
found. Any conceptual form that can be given in the abstract to the Buddha
(i.e. to the enlightened awareness)will take its shape from the
unenlightened awareness, and so has to be dissolved. But this is not that
different from the conviction of much Hindu thought, that the divine is ‘not
this, not that’, never identifiable with a determinate object, or from the
principle, deeply rooted in the Abrahamic faiths, that God cannot be given
an ‘essential’ definition, classified as a kind of object. This may be
expressed in the form of the apophatic theology of an Ibn Sina or Maimonides
or Nicholas of Cusa: Ibn Sina (like Aquinas and all that flows from him)
insists that there can be no answer to the question, ‘What makes God divine?
’ as if some ‘quiddity’ could be identified that grounded a divine
definition. God is God by being God – by being the necessary, uncaused
active reality he is; nothing else. But the same point is made in wholly
different idioms by twentieth century writers such as Karl Barth and Simone
Weil. For Barth, all systems for which God is an object are unsustainable:
he always speaks before we have words to answer, acts before we can locate
him on some intellectual map. He is never ‘available’, though always
present. And Simone Weil, in an argument of some complexity, concludes that
when the human ego says ‘God’, it cannot be referring to any reality to
which the name might be truthfully applied. Because the ‘I’ that says ‘God’
is always self-directed and so wedded to untruth, God cannot properly be
spoken of. Any God my selfish mind can conceive is bound to be a false,
non-existent God. The true God is known only in ways that cannot be reduced
to theory or third-person language. If you meet God (in the language of
systematic theology or metaphysics), kill him.

...***

[limited quotation because of copyright]

but it is most interesting  and to my humble mind it has many many links
with this Message of the Universal House of Justice:

http://www.bci.org/reno/writingsuniversal_house_.htm

To the World's Religious Leaders
The enduring legacy of the twentieth century is that it compelled the
peoples of the world to begin seeing themselves as the members of a single
human race, and the earth as that race's common homeland. Despite the
continuing conflict and violence that darken the horizon, prejudices that
once seemed inherent in the nature of the human species are everywhere
giving way. Down with them come barriers that long divided the family of man
into a Babel of incoherent identities of cultural, ethnic or national
origin. That so fundamental a change could occur in so brief a period —
virtually overnight in the perspective of historical time — suggests the
magnitude of the possibilities for the future.

Tragically, organized religion, whose very reason for being entails service
to the cause of brotherhood and peace, behaves all too frequently as one of
the most formidable obstacles in the path; to cite a particular painful
fact, it has long lent its credibility to fanaticism. We feel a
responsibility, as the governing council of one of the world religions, to
urge earnest consideration of the challenge this poses for religious
leadership. Both the issue and the circumstances to which it gives rise
require that we speak frankly. We trust that common service to the Divine
will ensure that what we say will be received in the same spirit of goodwill
as it is put forward.

http://bahai-library.com/published.uhj/religious.leaders.html

And both the Archbishop and the Message of the Universal House of Justice
are in contrast to the Vatican's Dominus Iesus
http://www.cin.org/docs/dominus-iesus.html
As a remedy for this relativistic mentality, which is becoming ever more
common, it is necessary above all to reassert the definitive and complete
character of the revelation of Jesus Christ. In fact, it must be firmly
believed that, in the mystery of Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Son of God, who
is “the way, the truth, and the life” (Jn 14:6), the full revelation of
divine truth is given: “No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one
knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal
him” (Mt 11:27); “No one has ever seen God; God the only Son, who is in the
bosom of the Father, has revealed him” (Jn 1:18); “For in Christ the whole
fullness of divinity dwells in bodily form” (Col 2:9-10).

Faithful to God's word, the Second Vatican Council teaches: “By this
revelation then, the deepest truth about God and the salvation of man shines
forth in Christ, who is at the same time the mediator and the fullness of
all revelation”.9 Furthermore, “Jesus Christ, therefore, the Word made
flesh, sent ‘as a man to men', ‘speaks the words of God' (Jn 3:34), and
completes the work of salvation which his Father gave him to do (cf. Jn
5:36; 17:4). To see Jesus is to see his Father (cf. Jn 14:9). For this
reason, Jesus perfected revelation by fulfilling it through his whole work
of making himself present and manifesting himself: through his words and
deeds, his signs and wonders, but especially through his death and glorious
resurrection from the dead and finally with the sending of the Spirit of
truth, he completed and perfected revelation and confirmed it with divine
testimony... The Christian dispensation, therefore, as the new and
definitive covenant, will never pass away, and we now await no further new
public revelation before the glorious manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ
(cf. 1 Tim 6:14 and Tit 2:13)”.10

no further public revelation