> 1.  The Guardian stated that he is not infallible in economics or science.
Somehow, "history" got added to that list.

Dear Brent,

The way it got 'added' to the list is because of the letter which was
written to the House of Justice asking about historical errors in the
Guardians writings and the House responding by quoting those letters, and
citing instances where both the Guardian and Abdu'l-Baha made errors in
historical fact.

"And I think that the guidance from the Guardian and the House about not
limiting the sphere of the Guardian's infallibility should be kept in mind
here."

I think you are taking that statement out of context, Brent. Let's look at
the entire passage:

""'... It is not for individual believers to limit the sphere of the
Guardian's authority, or to judge when they have to obey the Guardian and
when they are free to reject his judgment. Such an attitude would evidently
lead to confusion and to schism. The Guardian being the appointed
interpreter of the Teachings, it is his responsibility to state what matters
which, affecting the interests of the Faith, demand on the part of the
believers, complete and unqualified obedience to his instructions.'"
 (Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 311)

This clearly has to do with people raising questions as to authority of the
Guardian's decisions and whether or not we have to obey them. I frankly,
don't see how this applies here.

>> 4.  Shoghi Effendi many times uses the Dawn-breakers as a source for his
own history of the Faith, throughout God Passes By.  What's good enough for
him, is good enough for me.  That's just me as an individual believer, and
perhaps a believer who is a professional historian would take a different
view.

And that is where the tire hits the road, isn't it? As you know, Hand of the
Cause Mr. Khadem once asked me not to write anything that contradicted
either Dawnbreakers or God Passes By. I didn't feel I could make the promise
and still maintain my integrity as a historian. So I asked the House about
this. I wrote:

"this issue came up for me in the course of a conversation I had with Mr.
... years ago when I received an award from the Association of Baha'i Mr.
... was emphatic that I should never write anything which might contradict
things in any way either the Dawnbreakers or God Passes By. I did not feel I
could in good conscience give him the assurance he asked me for because it
was my understanding that historical matters needed to rest upon evidence
rather than authority. Is this insistence on relying upon original sources
and giving precedence to evidence over authority what the House of Justice
has in mind when it refers to "materialistic methodologies?""

The House responded with the following:

"The House of Justice recognizes that, at the other extreme, there are
Baha'is who, imbued by what they conceive to be loyalty to Baha'u'llah,
cling to blind acceptance of what they understand to be a statement of the
Sacred Text. This shortcoming demonstrates an equally serious failure to
grasp the profundity of the Baha'i principle of the harmony of faith and
reason. The danger of such an attitude is that it exalts personal
understanding of some part of the Revelation over the whole, leads to
illogical and internally inconsistent applications of the Sacred Text, and
provides fuel to those who would mistakenly characterize loyalty to the
Covenant as "fundamentalism". "

" The fact that he so copiously annotated it with
quotations from impartial historical and diplomatic sources shows that he
regarded it as a work of authentic history, and wished us to do so, too."

Since many of those footnotes contain contradictory materials one might
conclude that he also wanted us to read it critically. But of course, it is
authentic. No one is suggesting otherwise. But that only tell us  it isn't
pseudepigraphic or being credited to the wrong person like the Naqtu'l-Kaf.

warmest, Susan