In a message dated 5/12/2004 7:41:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Another question springs to mind on this topic: why did the miracle have to
happen in the first place?  If miracles are no proof of Prophethood, what
was the point of it all?

Dear David,

We don't even know for sure it was a miracle. Remember, the regiment in question had no wish to kill the Bab. As a historian I don't really ask whether or not a miracle occurred. I tend to ask 'why is this story being told?' In the case of the Dawnbreakers the function of the story is to illustrate that the Manifestation was finally the Master of His own fate and that any sacrifice He made was done voluntarily. Keep in mind that most Muslims believe that God would never allow a prophet to be killed. That's one of the reasons they deny the crucifixtion.

warmest, Susan