In a message dated 5/24/2004 10:45:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Clarification, please, from some of you knowledgeable historians.....I read Tutor Pole's story.  I have also seen several letter from the Guardian to, I think, "W. T. Pole".  Are these the same people.  If I recall correctly, and I will not assert certainty here, the Guardian's letters seemed to be written to someone who was a Baha'i.

Any more info on this fellow?

Dear James,

In those days there were no formal enrollment proceedures, nor was it clear what a person needed to believe to be considered a Baha'i. My understanding is that Tudor Pole was initially regarded as a Baha'i. In fact he was one of the believers whom Shoghi Effendi consulted with immediately after the passing of Abdu'l-Baha to consider the feasibility of immediately electing the Universal House of Justice. He was also the person through whom most communications from the Holy Land were conveyed to the British Baha'is. My impression is that as time went on, it became increasingly apparent how disparate Major Tudor's own beliefs were from that of the Baha'i Teachings and I think he and the Baha'i community parted company amicably. I suspect that it was Shoghi Effendi's interaction with prominent 'western believers' like Tudor Pole that helped persuad him it was not time to elect the Universal House of Justice. ;-}

warmest, Susan