In a message dated 6/15/2004 3:31:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

'If thy Lord had willed, whoever is in the earth would have believed, all of them, all together. Wouldst thou then constrain the people until they are believers?' (Sura 10:99)

I am wondering what the Muslim clergy point of view is on the interpretation of this verse. Is this an accurate translation from the Arabic? This verse seems to imply freedom of religion.

Dear Larry,

The verse "Let there be no compulsion in religion" does as much as well but I have heard some Muslims argue that this verse was abrogated once the umma was formed.

warmest, Susan