>>This interpretation of corrupt religious leaders as merchants>>

That's a very interesting interpretation.  And to me, it does not in the slightest
degrade the profession of merchant.

Similarly, in the Book of Revelation the new Law is foreshadowed as a woman (12:1);
and corrupt religion as a corrupt woman (Rev. Ch. 17).

I wonder how the image of the corrupt merchants fits in with this verse concerning
"buying and selling", about which I have long wondered.  Your comment may well be a
key:

"And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a
mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads; and that no man might buy or sell,
save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name."
(Rev. 13:16-17)  Then in chapter 18 the corrupt woman, the whore of Babylon, falls,
and the merchants who were made rich through her "weep and mourn over her; for no man
buyeth their merchandise any more", the merchandise of "gold, and silver, and precious
stones ... and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men."

Brent