Dear Susan,

Thanks for sharing the ABS talk by Steven Birkland. He makes a several good points.

I have just a couple of comments.

1) The story of the thieves and the bastinado is told in Star of the West and
'Abdu'l-Baha actually tells the Baha'is this:

'In this way I shall train you.  “Kam-kam,” “kam-kam” (little by little, little by
little,) until your powers of endurance become so increased that you will serve the
Cause of God continually, without other motive, without other thought or wish.  This
is my desire.' (Words of 'Abdu'l-Bahá reported in Star of the West, Volume IV, No. 6
(June 24 1913) pp. 104-105.  Excerpted by Allan Ward in 239 Days: 'Abdu'l-Bahá’s
Journey in America, pp. 203-206)

I can't find Steven's version of "Abdu'l-Baha's reasons anywhere.  Of course they may
be his understanding of 'Abdu'l-Baha's comments, but he actually attributed them to
the Master.

2) I have often wondered about the Age of Frustration since Shoghi Effendi only used
that nomenclature once as follows:

"To the catastrophic fall of mighty kingdoms and empires, on the eve of Abdu'l-Baha's
departure, Whose passing may be said to have ushered in the opening phase of the Age
of Transition in which we now live, I have, in a previous communication, briefly
alluded. The dissolution of the German Empire, the humiliating defeat inflicted upon
its ruler, the successor and lineal descendant of the Prussian King and Emperor to
whom Baha'u'llah had addressed His solemn and historic warning, together with the
extinction of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, the remnant of the once-great Holy Roman
Empire, were both precipitated by a war whose outbreak signalized the opening of the
Age of Frustration destined to precede the establishment of the World Order of
Baha'u'llah.  Both of these momentous events may be viewed as the earliest occurrences
of that turbulent Age, into the outer fringes of whose darkest phase we are now
beginning to enter." (World Order of Baha'u'llah, p.171)

My reading of that paragraph makes me believe that the Age of Frustration is slightly
different from the Age of Transition.  The two ages with which have experience both
appear to be mainly concerned with the processes of the Faith and the reaction of
humanity.  And the transition from one to another was determined by an internal event;
the passing of 'Abdu'l-Baha.

In contrast the Age of Frustration starts with the outbreak of the WWI and the two
salient events remarked on by Shoghi Effendi are the dissolution of two political
empires.  It is almost as if the Age of Frustration is primarily concerned with events
in the non-Baha'i world and is not just another name for the Age of Transition.

Thanks again for posting the talk,

David