Dear Mark,

Well.... Merriam-Webster (you know her, I'm sure... one of my
dearest friends!) says:

hyperbole: extravagant exaggeration (as "mile-high ice-cream
cones")

So my conclusion is that the "hyperbole" would be in the WHAT
[cannibalism] not the WHO [Africans].

In the quotes from SAQ, Abdu'l-Baha "qualifies" the WHO as
those who "become(s) bestial";
"under the rule of nature; then, "but men, in the Sudan" -
WHO -some men, WHERE? Sudan.  He is not saying "everyone" in
that particular place does this...  By naming the WHERE, He
grants the hearer with enough information to verify His
statement.

"A man who has not had a spiritual education is a brute."
Now, this MAY be a slight generalization... I've known a few
men who were exposed to a spiritual education and were still
"brutes".  The remainder of that quote could be a reference
back to the earlier more specific statement.

The SDC quote might be a little problematic, when one thinks
of our own efforts to uplift the social and economic needs in
3rd world countries.  It's back to "purity of motive" ... I
think.

Lovingly,  Sandra