In a message dated 11/20/2004 3:54:37 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
  Could you please explain, in layman's terms, what it means to read Paul through the eyes of Augustine and Luther?
Augustine and Luther were very fixated with the issue of their personal sinfullness. This is what Stendahl calls the "Western Introspection" which encourages the believer to concentrate on their own utter sinfulness in contrast to God's grace. Paul is often thought to have the same introspection as reflected in the verse "that which I do not will, that thing I do, wretched man that I am." The assumption is that Paul's emphasis on Grace vs. the Law is based upon Paul's own inability as a pharisee to live up to the obligations of the Law. Stendahl argues that this is a misreading, that Paul's theology didn't grow out of a sensitive conscience so much as a desire to make Christianity more inclusive for gentiles.

warmest, Susan