In a message dated 11/28/2004 10:17:47 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

The significance of WS's edict was that it allowed Jews to return to the Holy Land, rather than just practise their faith.  Are you saying that the reply from the public record office to the "researcher"  (?Sours) referred to an edict which did not state this?

Dear Sam,

So far as I know the edict had more to do with the toleration of Christians than Jews. I don't think the 'right to return' is even mentioned. Jews were not prohibited from immigrating to Palestine in the first place. I found this posting in our archives which should give you some of the details you are looking for: http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist/m30461.html

warmest, Susan