In a message dated 12/9/2004 10:35:17 P.M. Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Thus, for example, after reading the
quotation, ÃâÅThe betterment of the world can be accomplished through pure
and goodly deeds, through commendable and seemly conduct, the student is
asked, "How can the betterment of the world be accomplished?" At first
glance, this type of question may appear too simple. But, before reaching
such a conclusion, one should examine the following two observations: Often,
the tutor will divide the study group into pairs; one person in each pair is
asked to read the quotation aloud, and the other is asked to formulate a
question, the answer of which would be the quotation. This task of
constructing a question from a sentence does not turn out to be as simple as
it appears. The majority of participants need numerous exercises in order to
acquire this apparently simple skill.
Dear Max,

I did find, much to my surprise, that this was true of the majority of the participants in my own study circle. Even though most of the participants had college degrees, they just couldn't 'get' this part which seemed obvious to me from the start. I realized at that point I was vastly overestimating the ability of most Baha'is to read a text. My son made that point as well when he voiced his disagreement with me over Ruhi. "Mom," he says, "the Writings are hard to read." I was surprised because Neil had been reading these texts fluently in Feast since he was eight. It never occurred to me that he might not be understanding them.

"It is quite likely that by first developing in
believers who are in the early stages of their study of the Faith a capacity
to focus attention on the immediate and explicit meaning of sentences they
read from the Holy Writings, we will be contributing to the achievement of
unity of thought in our communities"

I guess the question is will that 'unity of thought' not then be a literalistic one? And is that really what our Writings encourage?

warmest, Susan

b‹š­ë.nÇ+‰·¶€Z…¨’¶çbzÆ™¨¥¶†«r¯zf¢•ªÜ+Þr‰“¢éì®&ÞéÝi¹ZžG¦j)m¢f¢–Ú%y«Þm¨ZŠËxãmÊ+-Çyۢ˱Êâmë¬z˱ÊâmæÚ¨¬¶)í…éÆyºÊÚ%ʬ–+-ÇyÛj¢JÛ‰ë"±«ÚV›•ëa®‹ †Ø^~‰e£§€Æ–f¢–Új¢²Ùb²ØÜqǹg›†Ûiÿùb²ØÜqÇ»úÞißß»¦