>>I do not believe in what I call "physical miracles"; that is,
violations of the scientific laws of the universe (such as gravity).
That does not make spirituality and religion any less wonderful. Far from it.>>

This reminds me of poets who also know the scientific basis of beautiful
natural phenomena.  Knowing how the beauty comes about, doesn't remove any of
the awe at the beauty.

>>So we can see the hand of God move within human society, but He moves through
>>humans and within natural law.>>

Hand of the Cause Faizi said this is one of the true mysteries of life (and a
mystery is something that is not only not understandable today; it is something
that will never be understood) anyway, he said that one of the true mysteries
in life is that we don't know how much of what we do is our own doing, and how
much is God's will.  God works through all of us every day, in ways we never
realize.  Also, God works in mysterious ways, beneath the surface, that we
gradually realize.

>>These are emergent phenomena of a whole other level. So we have no language
>>in which to express our spirituality, other than metaphor, symbols, myth and
>>hyperbole.>>

The Master has said something very similar in SAQ; and there are many instances
in the Baha'i Writings of hyperbole.  An example that comes to mind from the
Iqan, page 223:

"Among them was Mulla Husayn, who became the recipient of the effulgent glory
of the Sun of divine Revelation. But for him, God would not have been
established upon the seat of His mercy, nor ascended the throne of eternal
glory."

>>If we take too literal an understanding of the metaphors and symbols used by
>>Baha'u'llah and our other Central Figures, we lose the potency of its
>>intended role of uniting the world and harmonizing science and religion.>>

This reminds me of an important principle Baha'u'llah gave us, to help to
understand His Writings as He intended them:

"As Bahá'u'lláh says we should take the outward significance and superimpose
upon it the inner. Either without the other is wrong and defective." (From a
letter on behalf of Shoghi Effendi dated 16 February 1932; Compilation on
Deepening; The Compilation of Compilations vol. I, p. 215)

>>I believe that we are doing ourselves a dis-service by emphasizing Entry by
>>Troops, prophecy, and doctrinal uniformity. I believe we should be
>>emphasizing the radical uniformity of the inner core of the world's spiritual
>>traditions ... >>>

Ron, I don't see how these are inconsistent.  We know that the Writings say in
a hundred places that the inner core of the religions is the same.  The
Guardian's secretary also wrote on his behalf:

"There are two main principles which the Guardian wishes the friends to always
bear in mind and to conscientiously and faithfully follow. First is the
principle of unqualified and wholehearted loyalty to the revealed Word. The
believers should be careful not to deviate, even a hair-breadth, from the
Teachings. Their supreme considerations should be to safeguard the purity of
the principles, tenets and laws of the Faith. It is only by this means that
they can hope to maintain the organic unity of the Cause. There can and should
be not liberal or conservatives, no moderates or extremes in the Cause. For
they are all subject to the one and the same law which is the Law of God. This
law transcends all differences, all personal or local tendencies, moods and
aspirations." (Lights of Guidance, p. 79)

>>> ... the newfound capability of experiencing true spirituality without
>>> abandoning or short-circuiting science, reason and logic; and the
>>> possibility of using our powerful science and
technology to build a new civilization that cherishes and encourages
spirituality without superstition.>>

Very eloquent, thank you.

Brent