Susan: <>Dear Ron and Sandra, I think Abdu'l-Baha's knowledge of English may well have been adequate to understand people without an interpreter much of the time, at least by the time He left America. I suspect speaking English back to them may have been more of a problem. But when a translator got it wrong, He was often able to correct them.<>

I agree, and should have been clearer in my reply. I feel it wasn't so much a lack of "understanding" as fluency.

I've been in two environments when I understood Spanish and later Inupiaq (in the last century) ...enough so that words were chosen carefully around me ; ) Still was not able to converse in those languages.

Sandra

__________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com To unsubscribe, send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, use subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu