On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:40:39 -0800, Rich Ater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Gilberto:

>  I see your point and would tend to agree with you in
> mundane examples but
> when you are talking about divine revelation I think you start to run into
> problems.

 Rich:
 How so?

Gilberto:
In the mundane case it is easier to
> deal with the idea that nothing is
perfect so its not a big deal for it to
> be improved upon later. Like a
sports record... there is always going to be
> someone else later who
will run faster, be stronger, jump higher, farther,
> etc. But thinking
of God in that way comes out very much like faint praise.
> It tends to
accuse God of limitation and imperfection.

Rich:
Gilberto,    Sorry
> for taking so long to respond, it has been a very busy week.

Gilberto:
It's Ok.

Rich:
 I see your
> point, however, it is not God's perfection that is in question nor His
> limitations; He has none. It is humanity's that are the issue in Baha'i
> theology. The need for continuous revelation is due to the human race's
> imperfection and limitations.

Ok, other than gender (which I would momentarily exclude only because
I've had that argument several times before and I just want to think
about something else) what would be a concrete example of how we need
more revelation due to human imperfection? I guess what would be an
ideal or principle which is "missing" from one religion, but present
in a later one. Or some other kind of example which would show the
need for *progressive* revelation.

> As we continue to grow and are able to accept
> more, revelation continues. The Muslim concept that revelation ended with
> Muhammad (PBUH) and that now God has to find other ways to
> communicate with us ties the hand of God.

Firstly, the idea that God *has* to do anything ties to the hand

Secondly, the more precise claim is that prophethood has ceased. But,
in Islam,  there are still many and diverse ways for God to
communicate with and guide humanity through all sorts of non-prophets.

 God created us logical and inteligent, I cannot see
> the logic in ending revelation in 10 AH anymore than I can see the logic of
> ending it in 33 AD

I don't think anyone is saying that the end of prophethood is
logically necessary.