Gilberto wrote:
So I would say the Bahai use of the term is certainly different from
the original. And I'm not convinced it is even applicable.

Dear Gilberto: As one who has embraced the Baha'i Faith because of the Qur'an, I have read your posts, and the posts sent to you with some interest. There is one principle I had to learn even as a Christian; and before the Gospel led me to the Qur'an, which I embraced. The principle is best stated by Baha'u'llah. It is this:

"Say: O leaders of religion! Weigh not the Book of God with such standards and sciences as are current amongst you, for the Book itself is the unerring Balance established amongst men. In this most perfect Balance whatsoever the peoples and kindreds possess must be weighed, while the measure of its weight should be tested according to its own standard, (Baha'u'llah, Epistle to the Son of the Wolf, p. 128)

The effort made by men to reconcile the Word of God with the views of their leades is a wasted effort. Rather man must cast all aside save the Word of God.

One must make a choice. Should one reflect? "God setteth forth these similitudes to men that haply they may reflect." (The Qur'an (Rodwell tr), Sura 14 - Abraham, on Whom be Peace)

Or should one listen to the learning of men regarding what is parabolical and the interpretation of which is known only to God?

"But those in whose hearts is doubt pursue, forsooth, that which is allegorical seeking (to cause) dissension by seeking to explain it. None knoweth its explanation save Allah. And those who are of sound instruction say: We believe therein; the whole is from our Lord; but only men of understanding really heed." (The Qur'an (Pickthall tr), Sura 3 - The Family Of Imran)

As God's Hands cannot be literally "chained-up" or "shackled", the verse which you discussed in your post is clearly parabolical, an allusion; and hence must be left to the interpretation of God.

And may the peace of the Beloved enter into your heart Gilberto.

Richard.

__________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com To unsubscribe, send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, use subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu