Gilberto,

At 01:49 PM 1/10/2005, you wrote:
>>I didn't mean to invoke a discussion on whether Satan is literally real or
>>metaphorical or something else. I just meant that at least as I understand
>>it, the Dajjal is supposed to be a false claimant and that in fact there
>>would be many false claimants. The Bible says something similar.<<

There are similar statements made in the Baha'i texts.

>>You seem to almost be suggesting that any claimant with any sort of following
>>can be "true" as far as they go. So it seems you are refraining from applying
>>your paradigm in some cases. Or just being silent about it.<<

Let me explain it another way: I am saying that the assertions made by
adherents of the paradigm of each "religion" (however defined) needs to be
accepted in its own relative context. My view is fairly close to Max Weber's
concept of Verstehen, i.e., understanding the Weltanschauung (worldview) of
those one is studying. The difference is I am saying that truth claims cannot
be separated from paradigms.

>>So there is no paradigm which is more "divine" than the others?<<

I am not making any judgments about divinity apart from the paradigm. Now, when
I look at the different paradigms *as a Baha'i* (not as a sociologist of
religion), I may, subjectively, regard some paradigms, and their developers (or
founders), as more inspired than others.

With regards, Mark A. Foster • 15 Sites: http://markfoster.net
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger" -- Abbie Hoffman