Susan: <>If I recall correctly the passage you are alluding to, I think it is one which has been misused a lot. Wasn't Abdu'l-Baha talking more about Assembly members all getting behind a decision that the majority agreed upon rather than so much the community at large? In other words we are talking about a situation where each Assembly member got their say before the decision in question was made. I think the frustration a lot of us feel is over the fact that we were never part of the consultative process which decided on Ruhi material to begin with. In fact, even our NSA seems to have largely been shut out of the process. It mostly came down from the ITC, which as you know, is not an elected institution.<>

Dear Susan,

While I see your point and recognize also, the connection to an institution decision making process, nonetheless to my mind the overriding principle is one of Consultation in general between individuals (say husband & wife or family) as well as Administrative bodies. I offer the following:

"It is my hope that the friends and the maid-servants of America become united on all subjects and not disagree at all. If they agree upon a subject, even though it be wrong, it is better than to disagree and be in the right, for this difference will produce the demolition of the divine foundation. Though one of the parties may be in the right and they disagree that will be the cause of a thousand wrongs, but if they agree and both parties are in the wrong, as it is in unity the truth will be revealed and the wrong made right." (Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 411)

CONSULTATION-In Bahá'í usage, a technical term referring to the process of collective decision-making. The aim of Bahá'í consultation is to arrive at the best solution or to uncover the truth of a matter. Among the requisites for consultation that are set out in the Bahá'í Writings are love, harmony, purity of motive, humility, lowliness, patience, and long-suffering. Individuals not only have the right to express their views, but they are expected to express them fully and with the utmost devotion, courtesy, dignity, care, and moderation. If unanimity is not achieved, decisions are arrived at by majority vote. Once a decision is reached, all parties, having had the opportunity to express their views fully, are to work together wholeheartedly to implement it. If the decision is wrong, 'Abdu'l-Bahá says, through unity the truth will become evident and "the wrong made right". (The Universal House of Justice, Messages 1963 to 1986, p. 736)

Lovingly, Sandra

__________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com To unsubscribe, send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, use subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu