Dear Susan,

I am sure you have read the following, but let's once more have a look at them:

"For example, the question of Universal Peace, about which His Holiness Bahá'u'lláh says that the Supreme Tribunal must be established: although the League of Nations has been brought into existence, yet it is incapable of establishing Universal Peace. But the Supreme Tribunal which His Holiness Bahá'u'lláh has described will fulfil this sacred task with the utmost might and power. And His plan is this: that the national assemblies of each country and nation -- that is to say parliaments -- should elect two or three persons who are the choicest men of that nation, and are well informed concerning international laws and the relations between governments and aware of the essential needs of the world of humanity in this day. The number of these representatives should be in proportion to the number of inhabitants of that country. The election of these souls who are chosen by the national assembly, that is, the parliament, must be confirmed by the upper house, the congress and the cabinet and also by the president or monarch so these persons may be the elected ones of all the nation and the government. From among these people the members of the Supreme Tribunal will be elected, and all mankind will thus have a share therein, for every one of these delegates is fully representative of his nation. When the Supreme Tribunal gives a ruling on any international question, either unanimously or by majority-rule, there will no longer be any pretext for the plaintiff or ground of objection for the defendant. In case any of the governments or nations, in the execution of the irrefutable decision of the Supreme Tribunal, be negligent or dilatory, the rest of the nations will rise up against it, because all the governments and nations of the world are the supporters of this Supreme Tribunal. Consider what a firm foundation this is! But by a limited and restricted League the purpose will not be realized as it ought and should. This is the truth about the situation, which has been stated."
(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 291)

From above I conclude that that the members of this Supreme Tribunal are
from among all nations and their qualifications are very different from the election of the House of Justice. Non-Baha'is and women can be members of this world parliment.

"Should differences arise, they shall be amicably and conclusively settled by the Supreme Tribunal, that shall include members from all the governments and peoples of the world."
(Abdu'l-Baha, The Will and Testament, p. 13)

Again above we see that Abdu'l-Baha confirms that the members of this world Tribunal includes all the peoples of the world, men, women, Baha'is and non-Baha'is.

"The Supreme Tribunal is an aspect of a world Superstate; the exact nature of its relationship to that state we cannot at present foresee. Supreme Tribunal is the correct translation; it will be a contributing factor in establishing the Lesser Peace.
(Shoghi Effendi, Directives from the Guardian, p. 69)

To me Guardian is saying that we cannot foresee the exact nature of its relationship with the state. Now what I personally can conclude from all the above and the letter written on behalf of the Guardian is this: World tribunal and Universal House of Justice could merge if and only if all the peoples of the earth become Baha'is and women are allowed to be elected in this merged body.

Really speaking I believe that we cannot foresee at this time in history how the future world government operate and its relationship with the UHJ. So I would like to suggest we should not advocate one way or the other. But it seems to me that at present majority of Baha'is do think similar to yours for a future super state and I would like to down play such a concept that I consider is not really healthy for the progress of the Faith.

regards,
Firouz

__________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com To unsubscribe, send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, use subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu