In a message dated 1/21/2005 11:40:20 A.M. Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Where did the word 'righteous' come from?

In "Bahaullah and the New Era" there is an entire chapter called
"Righteous Warfare"

Okay. The term 'righteous warfare' occurs nowhere in the Writings which is why I didn't recognize it. I prefer to use the term 'just war.'  The concept which Abdu'l-Baha articulates is something which goes back at least as far as St. Augustine.

"In your own paper, you said " In many cases hikmat calls for the
apparent suspension of a Bahá'í principle in order to ensure the
protection of the Faith.""

Yes, that would be an obvious not an apparent suspension. And because some Baha'i principles can be suspended, doesn't mean they all can. As I said, you are taking a hypothetical which has never occurred and trying to argue on that basis that we say the same thing as Islam. You could use hikmat to argue anything at all by that logic!

"I find it easy to believe that life or death situations involving
violence and persecution might be the kind of thing which could cause
Bahais to suspend the "blotting out of holy war"."

You may find it easy but the only time when Baha'is actually did this their actions were strongly condemned by Baha'u'llah Himself with these word:

"My imprisonment doeth Me no harm, neither the tribulations I suffer, nor the things that have befallen Me at the hands of My oppressors. That which harmeth Me is the conduct of those who, though they bear My name, yet commit that which maketh My heart and My pen to lament."

I don't think any Baha'i would want to do this.

"That statement has two sides to it which need to get looked at for it
to be meaningful. What does God teach about the use of force under the
dispensation of Muhammad. And what does God teach about the use of
force under the dispensation of Bahaullah. I don't think I"ve heard a
clear Bahai statement about the first case."

Why do you need a 'Baha'i' statement in the first place? Don't you know what your Qur'an has to say on the subject? Do you need us to post the relevant quotations?

warmest, Susan