In a message dated 1/21/2005 2:17:16 P.M. Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Why isn't "Bahaullah and the New Era" "the writings"?
Dear Gilberto,

By "Writings" I mean our scriptures; what we consider the Word of God. Baha'u'llah and the New Era is just a piece of secondary literature.

"That section also quotes a passage from Abdul-Baha which elaborates on
the concept in interesting ways as well."

I think it is elaborating the concept of a 'just war' but as I said, that isn't the same as a holy war.
"I didn't say that they all can be. But in your paper you wrote:
"Bahá'u'lláh regarded the application of any of his laws as contained
in the Kitab-I-Aqdas as conditional upon the exercise of wisdom.""

The prohibition against jihad is all over the Baha'i Writings, not just in the Aqdas.

"In no way shape or form, does Islam permit random Muslims to just go
around killing innocent folks and calling it "jihad". "

Did anyone imply it did?

"As far as I can
tell, jihad only really makes sense in the context of a Muslim
country."

Jihads are also justified to defend Muslims living in the Daru'l-Harb as I'm sure you know, and bring their country into the Daru'l-Islam. They are not just waged for the purpose of protecting the Daru'l-Islam.

> "I find it easy to believe that life or death situations involving
> violence and persecution might be the kind of thing which could cause
> Bahais to suspend the "blotting out of holy war"."

> You may find it easy but the only time when Baha'is actually did this their
> actions were strongly condemned by Baha'u'llah Himself.

"There is almost an Orwellian feel to this:
"Conquest can be a praiseworthy thing... war becomes the powerful
basis of peace.. seeming wrath is mercy itself.. apparent tyranny the
very substance of justice.. warfare the cornerstone of peace.""

Sure, play with the ellipses and you can make almost anything look sinister.

"How do I know what the limitations are on the "righteous purpose"
which justifies these sorts of actions for Abdul-Baha?"

Doesn't He lay that out fairly clearly? He is saying you can defend your country against attack or put down internal rebellion.

>To understand what you (or Bahaullah) is saying was blotted out, so
that I can better evaluate whether the Bahai faith is saying anything
different or better (or worse)<

Why don't you put up all the quotes from the Qur'an that deal with holy war, Gilberto. I think they pretty much all apply, but let's see them all.

" I've read what "my" Quran says on the subject."

Okay, why don't you post them then. I'll find any that you leave out. ;-}

warmest, Susan