Gilberto,

At 09:51 AM 1/21/2005, you wrote:
>>Didn't Mark say something earlier which would imply that the followers of
>>Meher Baba have a somewhat stronger sense of unity.<<

No, what I said was that the followers of Meher Baba believe that Buddha,
Jesus, Muhammad, Meher Baba, etc. are reincarnations of the same soul.

>>He said that the avatars have one soul, and not many distinct souls as in the
>>Bahai faith.<<

Yes.

>>And if we are talking about unity in the sense of tawhid, isn't Islam's
>>rejection of anything which seems like polytheism, or deification of a human
>>being in some ways more thorough than the Bahai faith's attitude which tries
>>to reconcile itself to Hinduism or the deity of Christ?<<

I don't think that Baha'u'llah was trying to reconcile the Baha'i Faith with
Hinduism (although He did point out how various views, including Hindu
advaitism, are valid from certain perspectives). He was giving His view of
prophetology which, from a Baha'i perspective, is a Revelation from God.

>>And finally (although this isn't held by all Muslims) what is a stronger
>>affirmation of wahdat al-wujud, the philosophical position of Ibn al-Arabi
>>which sometimes gets mistaken for polytheism?<<

It is usually mistaken for pantheism (or perhaps, more accurately,
panentheism), not polytheism.

Regards, Mark A. Foster • http://markfoster.net • [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger." ---- Abbie Hoffman