In a message dated 1/23/2005 7:31:00 P.M. Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Is there any truth to this rumor?
I thought read somewhere that one or both of Abbas' parents were Baha'i.
Dear Dean,

Not that I've been able to ascertain. I wrote and asked the External Affairs Office about this rumor a few years ago and they informed me it was false and they had no idea what the rumor is based on. Subsequently I was able to trace back the source of that rumor to MOSSAD who apparently started it because they knew it would discredit him. They must be regretting that now that the Islamists are repeating that rumor for their own purposes. Abu Mazen is the only Palestinian leader the Israelis can hope to work with. He himself states he is a believing Muslim as were his parents.

warmest, Susan