>Gilberto: I'm not sure if you got it. You mentioned these hippie churches
> during the 60's as if they were a new thing. My point (which I certainly
> am not the first person to point out) is in certain respects these "new"
> hippies were superficially and in a deeper sense kind of like Jesus'
> disciples

You're right, they were.  I was using this as an example of the efforts by
the church to maintain or reclaim relevancy, not as an example of anything
"new."

>Gilberto: I don't think I said one KIND of religion. Just "one religion".
> And I suspect that you have in mind something more narrow and legalistic
> with that term.

OK, "one religion."  No problem.  Regardless of what you suspect, I had
nothing more in mind that the simple meaning of what I said.

> Gilberto: I think individuals can certainly internalize greater portions
> of God's revelation, grow more deeply in their faith. But as individuals
> coming into the world as infants we always start from 0. And we
> fundamentally have to learn the same lessons. The specifics may
> differ, but in a deeper sense, we are all in the same boat.

We do start out from 0, the famous tabula raza.  But where we go from there
depends on many factors.  Again, it's the idea of progressive revelation
that's the sticking point between us.  I see that this is a problem for a
Muslim (and for many Christians as well), whereas it is foundational to a
Bahá'í.

Dave Lambert
www.vintagerr.com