Hi, Gilberto,

At 02:40 PM 1/24/2005, you wrote:
>>Do you think this is just your independent opinion or is it ultimately rooted
>>in the Bahai faith somehow? I suspect that it probably is common among Bahais
>>who have thought about ethics and morality a certain way but I would be
>>interested in your take on it.<<

It is a combination of my own readings, my dialogues with Susan Maneck over the
last 10 years (though I would not blame her for any of my views!), and my
understandings of various Baha'i texts, including those which distinguish
between a particular individual's essence and its qualities.

Also, the following:

   "And should the Essence of Truth reveal that which is contrary to their
inclinations and desires, they will straightway denounce Him as an infidel, and
will protest saying:  'This is contrary to the sayings of the Imams of the
Faith and of the resplendent lights.  No such thing hath been provided by our
inviolable Law.'  Even so in this day such worthless statements have been and
are being made by these poor mortals.
   "And now, consider this other tradition, and observe how all these things
have been foretold.  In 'Arba'in' it is recorded:  'Out of Bani-Hashim there
shall come forth a Youth Who shall reveal new laws.  He shall summon the people
unto Him, but none will heed His call.  Most of His enemies will be the
divines.  His bidding they will not obey, but will protest saying:  "This is
contrary to that which hath been handed down unto us by the Imams of the
Faith."'  In this day, all are repeating these very same words, utterly unaware
that He is established upon the throne of 'He doeth whatsoever He willeth,' and
abideth upon the seat of 'He ordaineth whatsoever He pleaseth.'
   "No understanding can grasp the nature of His Revelation, nor can any
knowledge comprehend the full measure of His Faith.  All sayings are dependent
upon His sanction, and all things stand in need of His Cause.  All else save
Him are created by His command, and move and have their being through His law."
-- Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Iqan, pp.242-243

>>I wonder what you would think about the example of slavery? There were
>>certainly Christian abolitionists who well before the Babi/Bahai faith spoke
>>against slavery realized on their own that there was something morally
>>questionable about that "peculiar institution". So were they actually wrong?
>>Was slavery actually ok until the very moment that it was banned?<<

Personally, I would say that slavery, including the rather strange capitalistic
variety in the United States, has been wrong for some time. However, in saying
so, I am asserting my own will, not necessarily the Will of God. The only
standard we have for the Will of God is the Revelations of His Prophets.

Regards, Mark A. Foster • http://markfoster.net • [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger." ---- Abbie Hoffman