Dear Mark.

What you said  reminded me of a previous conversation I had on the
relative appeal of groups like the Nation of Islam and the Bahai faith
to African-Americans.
So by comparison,  Abdul-Baha wrote:

"But I wish to say one thing in order that the blacks may become
grateful to the whites and the whites become loving toward the blacks.
If you go to Africa and see the blacks of Africa, you will realize how
much progress you have made. Praise be to God! You are like the whites;
there are no great distinctions left. But the blacks of Africa are
treated as servants. The first proclamation of emancipation for the
blacks was made by the whites of America. How they fought and
sacrificed until they freed the blacks! Then it spread to other places.
The blacks of Africa were in complete bondage, but your emancipation
led to their freedom also--that is, the European states emulated the
Americans, and the emancipation proclamation became universal. It was
for your sake that the whites of America made such an effort. Were it
not for this effort, universal emancipation would not have been
proclaimed.
Therefore, you must be very grateful to the whites of America, and the
whites must become very loving toward you so that you may progress in
all human grades." The Promulgation of Universal Peace p45, also at PUP
p45