Ahang,
    In Iran, yes. Iran was a very small part of the Islamic world. I'm not saying that there was ever a time in which the Jizya was paid nowhere in the Islamic world, only that In certain times and places, it was suspended.
Rich

Ahang Rabbani wrote:
Dear Rich,

The payment of jizya continued until the time of Baha'u'llah.  I don't have
time now to get into the story of how this insidious tax was lifted by
Nasiri'd-Din Shah through the guidance of Baha'u'llah and the leg-work of
Manikji Sahib, but you might find some pieces of the info in Balyuzi's
"Baha'u'llah the King of Glory."  There is more to the role of Baha'u'llah than
it's in that book though.

Thanks, Ahang.

--- Rich Ater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In Gilberto's defense, I believe that Umar actually deferred the paying
of the jizya in many instances.
Rich

Gilberto Simpson wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:34:27 -0800 (PST), Ahang Rabbani