Then wouldn't we be more like Islam and only regard specific Writings
written in a certain state as revelation, rather than anything that issued
from Baha'u'llah's Pen?

I do believe what ever Baha'u'llah penned was the Words of God. His Person being the Supreme Manifestation of God. But at the same time He had a physical body with many physical limitation very similar to ours. When He says that He is in pain, that may not be the Word of God that He is expressing, He as a human being feels pain and expresses his feeling.

It seems to me that in the Baha'i Faith it is the
Manifestation who is ultimately the Word of God and whatever He reveals is
such only secondarily.

Yes that's true but it also depends on how one interprets it. I am sure you well know about the Tablet of Jamal Brujerdi where Baha'u'llah explains about His stations.

Best regards,
Firouz