On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:43:16 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In a message dated 1/28/05 8:06:41 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> > Gilberto (not dear Gilberto):
> > If by moral relativism you mean the kind of mentality and attitude that
> > anything goes and everything is OK, then Baha'is are definitely not
> > moral relativists.

> In previous conversations I've had with them both Mark and Susan
> affirmed that they believed in moral relativism.

Susan:
> That's because the definition above is not our understanding of moral
> relativism.

I've never accused you of holding that position. That was how Iskander
chose to interpret "moral relativism".

Susan:
 We understand that morality 'relates' to concrete circumstances,
> it isn't just an absolute ideal up in the sky somewhere.

Iskandar:
> > For instance, in the early days of Islam wine was
> > not strictly and categorically forbidden under all circumstances.

Gilberto:
> But even from the beginning it was recognized that wine was harmful
> and that there was something wrong with it.

Susan:
> Yes, by the time the Qur'an was composed this was true,but in antiquity
> iwine was quite necessary. Putting a little wine into your water was one of
> the few ways people had of disinfecting it.

And it is recognized in Islamic law that if it is medically necessary
and there are no reasonable alternatives one can consume alcohol.