On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:56:36 -0800, Patti Goebel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Gilberto:
> > > I don't believe that the Nicean creed is necessarily authentic
> > > Christianity. The real Christians were probably all eaten by lions or
> > > never left the catecombs. There are some Jewish Christian (like
> > > Ebionites) groups with docetic tendancies which from a Muslim
> > > perspective seem a likelier candidate for representing the true
> > > followers of Jesus.
> > > Dear Gilberto,

Mark?
> > > I think the above is a good example of perennialist triumphalism. The
> > > perenialist decides what the original religion was or wasn't, despite
> what
> > > that religion may say about itself.

Gilberto:
> > That's EXACTLY, and I mean EXACTLY, what the Bahais do to Muslims.
> > Despite what Muslims may say, Bahais tell Muslims what "Seal of the
> > Prophets" means, what the Apocalypse means, who the Mahdi is, how the
> > second coming of Christ is supposed to happen. etc.

Patti: I agree with you in one sense, but I am not certain you see it
the same way
> I do.  You say that Baha'is tell Muslims how to interpret scripture.  This
> is true in the same sense that Christians gave new interpretations of Jewish
> prophecies; however, I disagree with the concept of "triumphalism" in that
> it implies superiority.

Gilberto:
I agree that interpreting another religion's scriptures differently
than they usually do does not, by itself constitute triumphalism. In
terms of the original discussion, I don't believe that perennialism is
necessarily or even frequently "triumphalist". And however much I
might disagree with Bahai interpretations of Islamic texts, the fact
that Bahais disagree with what Muslims usually say, does not by itself
imply triumphaslism either.

To me, a Baha'i understanding would simply be
> observational--fitting the pieces together--and done in a spirit of humility
> and submission to God's great plan.

I think it depends on how you see other religions fitting into the
plan. Seing them as expired, spent, no longer valid, no longer
reflective of God's will etc. are what I would consider triumphalist.

"pharoah is just a leaf on a burning bush"