Gilberto,

At 06:50 PM 1/30/2005, you wrote:
>>Yes, I know. Existentialism and Essentialism are often contrasted. So if Mark
>>is opposing "essentialist morality" it suggests or at least raises the
>>possibility that he is defending some version of "existentialism".<<

Okay. I wasn't sure why you referred to existentialism. It is true that
essentialism and existentialism have often been contrasted, but essentialism
can also be contrasted with other positions, as well, including positivism,
logical positivism, William James' pragmatism, nominalism, particularism,
social constructionism, ethnomethodology, etc.

>>Existentialism is sometimes defined as the idea that your "existence" comes
>>before your "essence". You first are born, you exist, and THEN, through
>>living and making decisions you decide for yourself what kind of person you
>>will become, your "essence". THAT you are, comes before WHAT you are.
>>Although some Existentialists were theists, it is often associated with
>>atheism.<<

The definition of existentialism you provided came from Sartre. However, if you
are referring to Soren Kierkegaard, I agree with some of his views, including
his rejection of natural theology.

Regards, Mark A. Foster • http://markfoster.net • [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger." ---- Abbie Hoffman