Dear Tim,

--- Tim Nolan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If any definitive answer to this is possible, only the
> House of Justice itself can give it.  Anything we say
> is speculation.  So, why don't you ask the
> House?

For several reasons, I think it's premature to write to the House:

1.  In this case, the "question" is not clear to me.  If you've noticed, I've
thrown out several theories, some of which have nicely been knocked down by
folks here, while I'm still chewing over other pieces.

2.  When a question like this is put to the House of Justice, they'll turn
around and have the Research Dept spend weeks digging up all the relevant
texts, analyze them, write memos, etc, and generally the House ends up
forwarding the Research Dept's final memo.  I think we can do some of that leg
work here by a systematic study of the texts on the subject and that way either
avoid writing them altogether, or write them with a narrow, refined question.

And most importantly, I think the *process* is far more important than the
answer.  Off and on, I've been on line for 9 years now and seldom do I see
Baha'i scholars get along or actually solve anything.  Often we (and many of
those "we" is me!) end up in an argument and consultation breaks down.  We have
to learn to talk with each other and solve actual problems.  This will come
with passage of time, a lot of patience and a lot of practice.

At the risk of public embarrassment, I point to Brent as an example of a Baha'i
scholar who has shown enormous patience, good humor, mature judgment, and
generally as someone who is a positive factor in such on-line consultations.
When I grow up, I want to be like him ;-}

Anyway, you asked a simple question and I gave a long-winded response.  Sorry.

Regards,
Ahang.

http://my.yahoo.com