On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Gilberto Simpson wrote:

> Iskandar:
> > The fact is that the Bab, Baha'u'llah, and `Abdu'l-Baha and all Baha'is
> > do accept Islam, the Prophet Muhammad PBUH, Christianity, Jesus Christ,
> > Judaism, Moses, etc. as valid and Divinely ordained religions and
> > Meesengers/Prophets of God (Manifestations of God).
>
> Gilberto:
> Saying that the laws are abrogated would typically mean that the laws
> are not valid.

With all due respect, you just don't get it, Gilberto.
The shariah laws of Islam are as valid for Baha'is as the minutiae of
all of the Judeo-Christian religions are for Muslims. Roman Catholics do
not allow divorce, for example, whereas it's not prohibited in Islam.
Etc., etc., etc.

> > Does a Christian accept the Prophet Muhammad as a Meesenger of God? Do
> > you accept Baha'u'llah as a Messenger of God? Have you heard Rev Jerry
> > Falwell's characterization of the Prophet Muhammad?
>
> Yes, and sometimes the Bahai discussions of certain aspects of Islam
> sound like they hold some of the same basic attitudes, except maybe
> they try harder to be polite. One example would be statements I've
> heard from some Bahais regarding the role of women in Islam. And
> another example would be the recent discussion on the young marriage
> of Aishah.

Baha'is point out the facts as they see them, not to denigarte the Islamic
Revelation. If you don't want to see the facts, that's up to you. There is
no compulsion.
Quran 4:34
[Shakir 4:34] Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some
of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the
good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has
guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish
them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if
they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High,
Great.
[Yusufali 4:34] Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because
Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they
support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly
obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them
guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct,
admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat
them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them
Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all).
[Pickthal 4:34] Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the
one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property
(for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in
secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear
rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them.
Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them. Lo! Allah is ever
High, Exalted, Great.

The Prophet Muhammad's Son-in-law Imam `Ali, the First Shi`ah Imam and the
fourth rightly-guided caliph says:
O' ye peoples! Women are deficient in Faith, deficient in shares and
deficient in intelligence. As regards the deficiency in their Faith, it is
their abstention from prayers and fasting during their menstrual period.
As regards deficiency in their intelligence it is because the evidence of
two women is equal to that of one man. As for the deficiency of their
shares that is because of their share in inheritance being half of men. So
beware of the evils of women. Be on your guard even from those of them who
are (reportedly) good. Do not obey them even in good things so that they
may not attract you to evils."

The above are facts.

A Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to an Iranian woman for standing up for
the rights of women in the Islamic Republic of Iran and her government did
not have the decency to congratulate her. These are facts.

What was mentioned about Aisha and her age of 9 when the 52-year old
Prophet Muhammad married her was not in any way intended to cast any
aspersions on the blessed Soul of Muhammad. It was actually the opposite.

Baha'is have no desire whatsoever to proseltize or force their religion
down anyone's throat. Baha'u'llah instructs us to share His most
stupendous Revelation with all as a gift of a gem or a jewel, with a
kindly tongue. If accepted, fine. If you reject it, He instructs us to
leave you to God and to pray for you. There is no compulsion in religion,
you know.

Regards,
Iskandar