On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:51:04 -0800, Richard H. Gravelly
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can anyone give an explanation as to why Yusuf Ali has translated whatever
> Arabic words Sale and Rodwell translated as "unjust violence" as "trespasses
> against truth and reason".

I'm not sure. I guess I would chalk it up to the idea that the Quran
can't "really" be translated. Every attempt is approximate and there
are shades of meaning which are missed by some translations but gotten
by other translators. And vice versa.

Sale and Rodwell use "iniquity, and unjust violence" while the Muslim
translators render the phrase as :

[every kind of] sinning, and unjustified envy
vice and sedition without any right to do so
sins and trespasses against truth or reason
sin and wrongful oppression
sin and rebellion without justice
sins (of all kinds), unrighteous oppression

Here are the contexts:

Muhammad Asad renders the verse:

(33) Say: "Verily, my Sustainer has forbidden only shameful deeds, be
they open or secret, and [every kind of] sinning, and unjustified
envy, and the ascribing of divinity to aught beside Him - since He has
never bestowed any warrant therefor from on highand the attributing
unto God of aught of which you have no knowledge."

TB Irving gives:
* SAY: "My Lord has only forbidden shocking deeds whether they are
flagrant or kept hidden; and vice and sedition without any right to do
so; and that you should associate anything with God for which He has
not sent down any authority; and that you should say something you do
not know concerning God.

007.033
YUSUFALI: Say: the things that my Lord hath indeed forbidden are:
shameful deeds, whether open or secret; sins and trespasses against
truth or reason; assigning of partners to Allah, for which He hath
given no authority; and saying things about Allah of which ye have no
knowledge.

PICKTHAL: Say: My Lord forbiddeth only indecencies, such of them as
are apparent and such as are within, and sin and wrongful oppression,
and that ye associate with Allah that for which no warrant hath been
revealed, and that ye tell concerning Allah that which ye know not.

SHAKIR: Say: My Lord has only prohibited indecencies, those of them
that are apparent as well as those that are concealed, and sin and
rebellion without justice, and that you associate with Allah that for
which He has not sent down any authority, and that you say against
Allah what you do not know.

Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali, Ph.D.
Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan
33. Say (O Muhammad SAW): "(But) the things that my Lord has indeed
forbidden are Al­Fawâhish (great evil sins, every kind of unlawful
sexual intercourse, etc.) whether committed openly or secretly, sins
(of all kinds), unrighteous oppression, joining partners (in worship)
with Allâh for which He has given no authority, and saying things
about Allâh of which you have no knowledge."

--

"pharaoh is just a leaf on a burning bush"