I think this is a very good question David poses.

Most of the things that are shown on tv or in movies
is a reflection of what the majority of people in a
given culture find interesting. Or what the media
thinks the majority finds interesting, and then the
majority of people think they find it indeed
interesting, because they read about it in the
newspapers and other media and so think that you have
to follow that program or be interested in certain
things because all other people seem to be interested
in it.

>From that point of view it is good to watch for
example the Jerry Springer show (well personally for
me that would be the equivalent of hell) because you
will see what a lot of people are feeding their minds
on.

I find it really hard to live in a world where more
and more programs become a success because they have
to do with denigrating behaviour in people or by
picking on people. It is as if western society likes
to bring out the worst in another human being.
Egotistical motives and other ways in which the
material self takes the spotlight blatantly are
constantly displayed and this is in my view corroding
slowly the sense of honour a human being may possess.
Which makes it more difficult to find role models of
the opposite and can lead to finding it difficult to
act in a noble way, even if one wants to, because the
role models are so few.

At the same time I am living in this world and have to
deal with this attitude and focus on the material side
of human nature by others. How do you remain pure and
loving in a cynical society bent on getting the lower
nature of a person out, feed it and encourage it? How
can you do this without losing touch with your peers?

These are some questions I have asked myself since I
became a Bahai 20 odd years ago. I have not yet solved
it fully but I think I understaand better what thought
patterns and actions are needed to accomplish this.

much love,

janine van rooij
dublin, ireland