Thanks. That was interesting. And at the same time really weird.

A couple of things though:

1. It was my impression (at least this is what I've read, and I've
never read anything different) that the historical Mutazilite school
basically survived within 12-er Shiism. So I'm not sure what it would
mean to revive it.

2. The Mutazites weren't necessarily more liberal or open-minded in
the ways which come to mind when we think of the term "rationalism".
For example, the most frequently mentioned Inquisition-like period in
Islam is when the Mutazilites were in charge and tortured people like
Ahmad ibn Hanbal (the founder of the Hanbali school) in order to get
him to confess that the Quran wasn't the eternal word of God but
instead was created.

3. Even for Muslim I think that what I would call the "intellectual
geography" of Islam (if the phrase makes sense) is sometimes difficult
to scope out at first. Words like "orthodox" "secular" "traditional"
"reformer" "rationalist" "fundamentalist" etc. have certain
conotations in Western/American experience but they don't necessarily
have the same significance in Islamic history. And it would be
inappropriate to just assume that they do.

For example, the "reformers" are often the ones who becoming
repressive and oppose the more tolerant principles of the
traditionalists.

"pharaoh is just a leaf on a burning bush"