A quick calculation suggests that the magnitude is very consistent with the speed of light, but the resulting units make no sense at all, suggesting that it may only be a coincidence.

Diameter of the earth = 7926//2 = 3963 miles radius
Diameter of the moon = 2260/2 = 1130 miles radius
Distance from the earth to the moon = 238,000 miles
Radius of the circle which the moon travels around the earth = 3963 + 1130 + 238,000 = 243,093 miles Circumference of the moon's orbit around the earth = 2 x 3.14 x 243,093 = 1,526,624 miles/month
12 months/year x 1000 years = 12,000 months
12,000 months x 1,526,624 miles/month = 1.832 x10^10 miles (the moon would travel in 1000 years) 1,526, 624 miles/month / 27.3 days/lunar month = 55920.3 miles/day (the moon would travel) 1.832 x 10^10 miles / 55920.3 miles/day = 327,600 (but the miles cancel out and the units make no sense)
The speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec or 300,000 km/sec.

I am on my way out of town and will have to consider this later, Marleen

Firouz wrote:

Dear friends,

I am sorry to bring this question about Quran and Islam to this Baha'i Studies List. I would really appreciate if Dr. Khazeh Fannanapazir or other friends could shed some lights to the claim of these web pages as follows:

http://www.geocities.com/speed_of_light_quran/

http://www.speed-light.info/angels_speed_of_light.htm

http://www.islamicity.com/Science/960703A.SHTML

They are referring to some verses in Holy Quran and try to prove that based on these verses the speed of light could be calculated to the exact figure. I would like to hear your opinion and what you think of such claims.

Best regards,
Firouz

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent
by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and
for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by
federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please
immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message
and any attachments thereto. Thank you.

Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st