Your interest in promoting tolerance is very gratefully appreciated, dear
Gilberto. I wonder if you can enumerate some prominent, leading Muslim
scholars, clerics, or Islamic countries/governments who have actually
publicly accepted Baha'is as people of the Book.

Regards,
Iskandar

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Gilberto Simpson wrote:

> All I'm saying is that Susan's father-in-law apparently is at least
> one Muslim who considers at least one Bahai as being in the general
> category of People of the Book. And moreover, in the interests of
> promoting tolerance of Bahais, this would actually be a good thing.
>
> I don't have alot of interest in trying to argue with huge categorical
> statements some Bahais make about Muslims.
>
> -Gilberto
>
> On 2/8/06, Firouz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Dear Iskandar,
> >
> > It's not only Iran that does not recognize Baha'is as people of Book.
> > All Middle Eastern countries and their Sunni or Shia
> > scholars/imams/mullahs/muftis do not recognize Baha'is as people of
> > Book, neither do they recognize Baha'i Faith a religion from God.  You
> > can also check this site of Wikipedia.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_of_the_Book
> >

> > > Baha'is would be quite happy if they are counted as people of the Book by
> > > Shi`ah Muslims of Iran or by any other Muslim government or society. That
> > > would give us some legal entity. Right now, we  are non-persons as far as
> > > the Islamic Republic of Iran is concerned. I wish they'd count us as ahl-i
> > > kitAb. If a Muslim murders a Baha'i in Iran, the victim's family has no
> > > legal recourse.
> > >
> > > Iskandar

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.