On 5/12/06, Richard H. Gravelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

. My guess would be that part of
the Bahai position (which I've heard from some Bahais) is the
assertion that there is no kind of natural law, no kind of underlying
"natural morality". The only commandments are the orders of the
Manifestation. So it makes "sense" that you would resist what I'm
saying.

thank you very much for your patience Gilberto.

Gilberto:
You are welcome.

Actually, I am not resisting at all.  I do however, persist in trying to
determine if you are asserting that "natural law" and "natural morality" do
not originate with God.

Gilberto:
Ultimately everything originates with God.

Richard:
If you agree that they do originate with God, then
would it not be better for all to simply repair to the Book for guidance and
use one's reasoning abilities in the understanding of the Revelation and its
ramifications.

Gilberto:
God gave us the ability to reason as well. And I would resist the idea
that you should turn your brain off and only use it in limited
situations.

At any rate; I believe that the text of the Qur'an explains the point I that
I believe should be explored in the context of your assertions of the
"intrinsic value" of certain precepts which are found in the Sacred Books.

Ok.

Richard:
I am certain that you are aware of the verses which recite what happened
between the "unknown" and Moses.

Gilberto:
Yes, he's also known as Khidr or the Green Man.

Richard:
Permit me however, for those other than
you who may read this post, to post the second act  and then the denoument.

Then went they on till they met a youth, and he slew him. Said Moses,
"Hast thou slain him who is free from guilt of blood? Now hast thou wrought
grievous thing! He said, "Did I not tell thee that thou couldst not have
patience with me?"

Richard:
Moses has opparently objected to the violation of an "intrinsic value".

Gilberto:
This is kind of a straw dog argument. I don't think I've made detailed
claims of what things are intrinsically "moral" and what things are
intrinsically "immoral" or how moral reasoning would evaluate specific
situations.

Furthermore, I think if you read the entire story, I would suggest
that on the whole it suggests the opposite of what you seem to be
suggesting. Moses (as) is the prophet, the manifestation, the
authority. But he turned out to not see the whole picture. And on top
of that Khidr didn't say "I'm a manifestation too, submit to my
authority". On the contrary, Khidr actually gives REASONS and EXPLAINS
why he did what he did. He gives examples of moral reasoning to
justify why he killed the boy, and sunk the ship, and repaired the
wall.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent
by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and
for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by
federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please
immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message
and any attachments thereto. Thank you.