> I always thought the proverb in question applied any and all tests.

Dear Dean,

The context in which I've read the proverb did not say anything about
tests whatsoever. It seems to have more to do with our not feeling
over-burdened by obligations. Here are the contexts in which I found
the passage:

All the friends of God . . . should contribute to the extent possible,
however modest their offering may be. God doth not burden a soul
beyond its capacity. Such contributions must come from all centers and
all believers. . . . O Friends of God! Be ye assured that in place of
these contributions, your agriculture, your industry, and your
commerce will be blessed by manifold increases, with goodly gifts and
bestowals. He who cometh with one goodly deed will receive a tenfold
reward. There is no doubt that the living Lord will abundantly confirm
those who expend their wealth in His path.

'Abdu'l-Bahá, in Bahá'í Prayers, p. 84

        (Compilations, NSA USA - Developing Distinctive Baha'i
Communities)

Although potentialities differ in degree, not a single soul is
completely bereft of capacity. Indeed, progress in this world is
dependent on that preordained measure and the manner in which people
fulfill their God-given potentiality. Accordingly our responsibility
is commensurate with our capacity, as it is said: "God will not burden
any soul beyond its capacity."

        (The Universal House of Justice, 1997 Mar, BAHA 154 - From
Persian, To Iranian Believers)

In both contexts the messages seems to be that we can all serve but no
one should imagine that God wants us to be overburdened. Keeping that
passage in mind can prevent burn-out.

warmest, Susan

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.