The Baha'i Studies Listserv
http://irfancolloquia.org/pdf/lights8_martin.pdf

I found this was a related paper.

________________________________
From: Sen & Sonja <sen.so...@casema.nl>
To: Baha'i Studies <bahai-st@list.jccc.edu>
Sent: Sun, August 15, 2010 6:04:33 AM
Subject: Re: Religion and Exclusivism

The Baha'i Studies Listserv
> Religion and Exclusivism: A Baha'i Perspective
> by Julio Savi
> Published in Lights of Irfan Volume 7 pages 221-238 Wilmette, IL: Irfan
> Colloquia, 2006

> The PDF of the full paper is here:
http://irfancolloquia.org/pdf/lights7_savi_exclusivism.pdf

I don't think this is a very useful contribution, because it omits
the dimension of power, and without that, the dynamics of exclusivism
make no sense. This element is covered in the Bahai scriptures:
individuals and groups have *motives* and *interests* for their
theological positions and for presenting them as The Right Way.

    Leaders of religion, in every age, have hindered their people
from
    attaining the shores of eternal salvation, inasmuch as they held
the
    reins of authority in their mighty grasp. Some for the lust of
    leadership, others through want of knowledge and understanding,
have
    been the cause of the deprivation of the people.     (Baha'u'llah,
The
    Kitab-i-Iqan, p. 15)

It is ironical to see a theologian quoting the section in One Common
Faith:

"Over time, theology succeeded in constructing in the heart of each
one of the great faiths an authority parallel with, and even inimical
in spirit to, the revealed teachings on which the tradition was
based.."

As if theology was the problem! Far from it, it is the entanglement
of theology with power that is the nub of the problem. A religious
community has theology, and has leaders -- neither of these is
problematic or even optional. The problem is rather with leaders
enforcing a theology or, more rarely (if ever?) theologians assuming
power. The theology concerned always turns out to be one that serves
the interests of power

Sen

Sen McGlinn      http://senmcglinn.wordpress.com

All is to be yielded up, save only the *remembrance* of God;
      all is to be dispraised, except His praise.
Today, to this melody of the Company on high,
                      the world will leap and dance:
      `Glory be to my Lord, the All-Glorious!'

            (Selections from the Writings of `Abdu'l-Baha, p. 93)