The Baha'i Studies Listserv

> I would truly be grateful if you could provide some references for your
> statement that "Abdul Baha never claimed that the guardianship was meant to
> be a permanent institution [and] The Kitab-i-Aqdas makes it clear that
> leadership will pass from the Aghsan to the people of Baha."

Dear Ian,

I'm not sure how one could provide a reference for something that
Abdu'l-Baha *didn't* indicate, but as for the reference in the Aqdas,
I presume she is referring to this passage:

Endowments dedicated to charity revert to God,
the Revealer of Signs. None hath the right to dispose of  35
them without leave from Him Who is the Dawning-place
of Revelation. After Him, this authority shall
pass to the Aghsan, and after them to the House of
Justice -- should it be established in the world by
then -- that they may use these endowments for the
benefit of the Places which have been exalted in this
Cause, and for whatsoever hath been enjoined upon
them by Him Who is the God of might and power.
Otherwise, the endowments shall revert to the people
of Baha who speak not except by His leave and judge
not save in accordance with what God hath decreed in
this Tablet -- lo, they are the champions of victory
betwixt heaven and earth -- that they may use them in
the manner that hath been laid down in the Book by
God, the Mighty, the Bountiful.

        (Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 34)

warmest, Susan