The Baha'i Studies Listserv
342. Dramatizing Historic Episodes of the Faith
"As to your question concerning the advisability of dramatizing Baha'i historic
episodes: The Guardian would certainly approve, and even encourage that the
friends should engage in such literary pursuits which, no doubt, can be of an
immense teaching value. What he wishes the believers to avoid is to dramatize
the Personages of the Bab, Baha'u'llah and 'Abdu'l-Baha, that is to say to
treat Them as dramatic figures, as characters appearing on the stage. This, as
already pointed out, he feels would be quite disrespectful. The mere fact that
They appear on the scene constitutes an act of discourtesy which can in no way
be reconciled with Their highly exalted station. Their message, or actual
Words, should be preferably reported and conveyed by Their disciples appearing
on the stage."
(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer,
July 25, 1936)

343. If Light Suggests Personification of the Manifestation, It Should Not Be
Used
"The use of light, either of great intensity or in different colours, needs
your careful consideration. If the use of light in any way at all suggests a
personification of the Manifestation of God it should not be used, but if it
can be done without in any way giving the impression that the Prophet is being
represented or personified then there is no objection to its use."
(From a letter written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice to an
individual believer, August 12, 1975)

344. Prohibition on Representing Manifestations of God in Paintings or Drawings
Applies to All Manifestations
"The prohibition on representing the Manifestation of God in paintings and
drawings or in dramatic presentations applies to all the Manifestations of God.
There are, of course, great and wonderful works of art of past Dispensations,
many of which portrayed the Manifestations of God in a spirit of reverence and
love. In this [100] Dispensation however the greater maturity of mankind and
the greater awareness of the relationship between the Supreme Manifestation and
His servants enable us to realize the impossibility of representing, in any
human form, whether pictorially, in sculpture or in dramatic representation,
the Person of God's Manifestations. In stating the Baha'i prohibition, the
beloved Guardian pointed out this impossibility."
(From a letter written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice to an
individual believer, March 9, 1977)

345. Need for Skill to Produce an Effective Film about History of the Faith
"As you are no doubt aware, it is not permissible to portray the Manifestations
of God in dramatic works and it can be understood that great skill will be
needed to produce an effective film about the history of the Faith in which
neither the Bab nor Baha'u'llah could actually appear. Because of the
overwhelming significance of the Baha'i message and the Baha'i Revelation, any
such film produced under the aegis of the Baha'i community would have to be of
the very highest quality in all respects."
(From a letter written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice to a
National Spiritual Assembly, September 24, 1978)

All above fm Lights of Guidance.

Don C